Thread: Car accident

Default Car accident

Hi i was involved in a car accident the other day that was caused by another driver who was later charged by police for careless driving but my insurance provider Aviva have said its my fault
    The accident as it happened I was leaving a roundabout behind another vehicle going round a slight bend when a driver coming the other way tried to cut the corner to get to the entrance to the roundabout quicker which resulted in the car in front having to brake to avoid hitting him which in turn left me with no time in which to react and i hit the car in front
    The police was called and as said they charged the driver with careless driving now aviva say i was to blame i dont see how i wasnt driving fast i would say 25mph and there was a 2 second gap atleast between me and other car
    I have since learned the car infront has power brakes which made him stop very quickly where as my 10 year old van didnt stop nearly as quick given time i had to react
    do i fight this or just through towel as i wont be able to afford a higher premium and hence my new business will be over just a month or so after starting
    If anybody can help it would be most appreciated as i am very stressed by this

Welcome to the site m.a.exley, sorry to read about your accident, I think the reason that your insurance is blaming you, is because you ran into the car in front of you?No matter why the driver in front of you stops, you should leave enough room, to come to a stop without colliding into it?If you read through these forums you will see many posts similar to yours, where the driver who runs into the car in front, is 100% to blame. (Sorry about having to tell you that)

Angry

If this is how insurance companies work there should be a massive change in the way the system works to be left jobless by somebody elses actions with no retrospective action available seems mental
    And thank you for welcoming me to the site shame it had to be in such crazy circumstances

Aye! The way some insurance companies operate, is just short of criminal. The amount of posts we read in here, where the insurance companies just settle for a 50/50 result, on every roundabout accident, regardless how innocent one of the drivers was?It saves them the cost of court fees and costs from investigating claims properly?I've just changed cars, and went down to a 1.6Ltr car from a 2Ltr, yet my insurance company wanted to increase my premium,........their reason was......."the car was new or me, and I might crash it?"Needless or say, I went elsewhere, and got a far better deal.