Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: You have got to laugh!

The problem seems to be, the fact that it's a Hospice and not a Hospital, things are different, as I found out today when talking to one of the doctors, I say one, as there seems to be Two of them, taking care of my wife.That's what's been causing the confusion, as one says one thing, then the other changes it?I asked about getting her home again today, and they Both agreed (for the first time) that she needed more physio to strengthen her legs, so she can hold your own weight.With the cancer going into her bones, they said that if she ever falls again, it would be the end for her?So, I can see where they are coming from now, it's just that she is so frustrated now, as she has been in there for six weeks now?

Smudger, I'm glad you've got some answers, even if it's not what you and Mrs Smudger want.

I expect you've already been through all this, but is there nothing social services can do to help you have Mrs Smudger at home, perhaps with a hoist like my Mum's got - she can't weight bear either. It does mean that the carers come in four times a day to wash, dress, help her to the commode etc., so not exactly dignified but it does mean Mum can be at home; the Docs agree that if she went into a home, she would deteriorate even more rapidly with the dementia than she is. I know she's not got cancer but the dementia is getting to the point where she can try to get out of her chair so it's taking my son and I almost all our time to keep tabs on her and this situation might not be one you can handle. I know we had a big bust up over a couple of the carers - one of whom was a known s**t-stirrer - but it paid off. You can also get help from MacMillan nurses. Remember, if you aren't happy with the service from the docs - seeing they seem to mostly disagree - you should be able to get another opinion. I know it's like bashing your head against a brick wall but after having to have three different docs in three days nearly a month ago, you need one you trust who is thorough, not the laid back variety. Thinking of you bothxx

smudger, I'm really sorry about your wife's illness, and the last thing you need is for more worry to be piled on top of it. I agree with FJ but, hospital or hospice, the medication situation should not differ significantly. Having two hospice carers looking after your wife means that their agreement over care (particularly the medication) is paramount. Applying their own different approaches is not acceptable. Even if it means banging heads higher up, the ongoing treatment cannot be allowed to vary simply on the basis of each carer's personal opinion. In fact, both carers should be following the same standards (especially medication) set from higher levels.

Cheers folks, I was in again today, and found her to be a bit confused? But, for the first time ever, since she has been there, one of the nurses sat with her, (and myself) and actually explained what was happening to her, and why, along with discussing the side effects of the drugs that they have her on.That made such a difference, then she nodded off, right after they gave her more pain killers, but not before she told me b****r off home,............she still has that sense of humour. Lol

Thank heavens for that, Smudger, and for Mrs Smudger's humour - nang on to that and keep us posted. XX

Very eventful trip over to friends this morning! First was asked to pick up some goods from local Spar - there's roadworks opposite and sat through three traffic light greens with a continuous stream of traffic coming the other way. Decided not to park in front of the store so dived off into the hotel car park and walked down. Asked one of the workers to check the traffic lights , explaining what had just happened - wish I'd not bothered! This is the third seriously grumpy one I've had occasion to speak to/overhear speaking to someone in this manner but this morning was the final straw - I've now phoned up and made a formal complaint about the inadequacy of their traffic light management and downright rudeness of their operatives - sorry but I don't do comments about "bl**dy" women drivers - except in private!!

So, 15 minutes later than I should have been, headed off, only to meet the well-known "demented" heron who loves standing in the middle of the road - unlike the Highlanders, not a character to take lightly - s/he's attacked cars before - another delay. Then round the next corner and we have the twitchers - thankfully all off road but at the next farm entrance a "do it yourself" lot had blocked the entrance and farmer NOT happy - car tried to take off without looking - eek! Rest of trip out and most of way only mildly interrupted by lambs being fed in the middle of the road but then - piece de resistance! - brand new car front end off road with rear end wheels in air. 4x4 already there but no tow rope. Loaned them mine - reversed back and donned hi-viz - not a nice place when you have to pull a car out in reverse and knew the latest load off ferry was due. He was lucky, got out okay and I followed him up to Tob - no apparent problems bar front bumper disarranged. He admitted he didn't know rules of single track roads!!

Sounds like you have problems there as well FJ. We must have had the same shower digging up your roads that we had here a few weeks ago.They were resurfacing the High. Street, but decided to close the complete length of it, despite the fact that there was no way they could do the whole job in one day?Because they closed the whole street, it caused total chaos with the traffic, as our village was part of a detour already, caused by more work on the main route roundabout?Somebody must have dragged the boss of the councils road department, out of his office, to come and see what all the complaints were about, and even though that half of his brain cells were not working, he eventually told the contractors to open one lane, no just resurface half of the road at a time.