Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: You have got to laugh!

Aye! FJ, I gave our lad a loan of my flask, but unfortunately it got dropped and broken? The one I bought to replace it, was about as much use a chocolate tea pot?It was useless! I didn't even have time for a cuppa today, as my wife was so tired, she sent me home, as she kept nodding off.

Smudger, get a stainless steel one but not the ones that you can push in to pour - they just don't keep heat. Having said that, best flask I ever had was 5.99 from Asda 11 odd years ago! Hope Mrs S has a better day tomorrow.

Cheers for that FJ, I found an old one in the back of one our kitchen cupboards, it works a lot better. I was in visiting my wife again today, but she still feeling sleepy?In fact the other two patients were the same, I'm sure they are drugged, to keep them sleeping as it's bank holiday weekend, and there is only two staff to cover the whole floor, with a total of nine patients?

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    Cheers for that FJ, I found an old one in the back of one our kitchen cupboards, it works a lot better. I was in visiting my wife again today, but she still feeling sleepy?In fact the other two patients were the same, I'm sure they are drugged, to keep them sleeping as it's bank holiday weekend, and there is only two staff to cover the whole floor, with a total of nine patients?
    I do hope that is not the case regarding drugging up of your wife. Ask her what pills have changed either in size or colour. It is a very serious matter if the medication has been altered to suit the staffing levels. You may find the medicine chart at the end of the bed so have a look on the sly to see if any have been discontinued and then re prescribed as a larger dose. If so ask the nurse in charge why?
    I hope she gets better soon.

No need to "look on the sly" - just take a look, ask for any explation you feel to be necessary, and make notes of any medication that you might wish to check on line later. In the event of any unhelpful stallng, take the matter up to the next level. Hopefully, all is above board but, considering worrying trends reported in the media of late, ensure that information is given to your entire satisfaction.
    Best wishes, Snowball.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    No need to "look on the sly" - just take a look, ask for any explation you feel to be necessary, and make notes of any medication that you might wish to check on line later. In the event of any unhelpful stallng, take the matter up to the next level. Hopefully, all is above board but, considering worrying trends reported in the media of late, ensure that information is given to your entire satisfaction.
    Best wishes, Snowball.
    I quite agree that there should be no need to have a sly look but some nurses get quite off hand if you pry into patients notes even though they are nearest and dearest. Personally I wouldn't. I would give the full info and explain any changes. I agree with you here Snowball but just suggested a way not to upset the applecart so to speak.
    Perhaps the better approach would be to ask the staff why she is so sleepy.

They don't have any charts on the bottom of the beds any more, in fact they were too keen to give me any information about her medication?In fact we were talking together today, and we have decided to ask if she can come now, as they are not doing much for her at all now?In fact the only reason she is there, is because she couldn't take her own weight, and although I can help her, I can't actually lift her.Besides she doesn't want to die in a hospice, she wants to to be in her own home.

Double post, due to first one disappearing?

Smudger, please be very careful about your both decision for your dear wife to come home. You will need backup and I am sure that can be organised. Sadly lack of mobility causes both muscle and bone to become weak. If there were to be a fall there is a very high chance of a fracture. Get everything in place at home regarding help that you will need. My very best wishes to both of you.

smudger, if your post #27 should read, ".......they WEREN'T too keen to give me any information........", then that would bother me. As your wife's full time carer, you technically have power of attorney and, as such, you are as entitled as anyone to be given full details of her medication, also any changes along with an explanation of why the changes were made. The associated information literature applicable to the drugs should also be made available to you. - as is the case when you obtain prescribed drugs from a pharmacy, and the info is in the packaging.

Trainman's caution should be taken on board. Do not place yourselves in a position where it can later be claimed that further help was declined - giving an opportunity for them to 'wash their hands of any responsibilities' for your wife's welfare.