Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: You have got to laugh!

I was at the hospital today visiting my wife, and went down to get a cup of tea from the cafe. I was served by a right grumpy ignorant young lass, who was blatantly rude?After I had added the sugar and milk, and was ready to go, I said, That "..........she should ask for a refund from the charm school night classes that she had attended"I bet I was half way up on the lift, before she had figured out what I said?......"Winking Smiley."

The cafe in our local hospital is staffed by people as old, or older than me. They can be a bit slow at times, and you often have to repeat your order, but the coffee is good, and the prices reasonable.

The cafe is run by The League of Friends, and while I was working there, back in the last century, there was a plan put forward to hand it over to one of the big chains - Costabucks or some such. I was part of a committee that was looking at all the private enterprise stuff, and I wrote a passionate defence of the current arrangement. My point was that the LoF made a huge contribution to the hospital; the twenty odd volunteers that ran it gained a great deal as well, and the service and quality were perfectly acceptable. Costabucks, on the other hand would charge a lot more, employ very few staff, and after looking at the financial projections, I suspected that the contribution to hospital funds would be minimal.

The car parking, the shop and the incinerator are another story entirely. Lambs to the slaughter ain't in it.

Aye! The cafe at this hospital is being renovated just now, but I've been told that it won't be run by the WRVS any more, it's going to be one of those Coffee giant companies, and the prices are set to increase vastly?Just a sign of these modern times??....."stop the world, I want to get off Smiley?"

Our daughter makes and sells jewellery. recently she hired a stall for a day at our local hospital. My wife had gone to help her, and I had called in. My wife brought me coffee from the cafeteria. It was in a disposable carton, and tasted vile. There was no coffee taste at all and it could have been anything - and it wasn't cheap. At the prices charged, you should be able to expect something that tastes reasonable, and of a flavour familiar to what you are drinking. Why don't more customers vote with their feet?

The cafeteria in a hospital has a local monopoly. No one goes there just for the coffee, or the soggy pastries; in fact most of their customers are wishing they were somewhere else. When there is no competition, this is the result.

Aye! It's weird, there are two cafés in that hospital just now, both ran by WRVS, one charges £1.05 for a tea, and the other one charges £1.30?

Smudger,

It is a demonstration of the power of advertising. People go for the familiar brand. After all, it seems that people are quite happy to pay £4 or £5 for a cup of Costabucks coffee on the high street.

Geez! £4 for a of coffee, you can buy a jar of Nescafe for that in Asda?The refurbished cafe at the hospital was open today, and, as I thought, all the prices are way up!

Simple answer, take a flask! And don't listen to those blokes patrolling m-way service parking areas who get nasty about drinking from your own flask. I'd used their facilities, bought a couple of items including bottled water from their shop but was damned if I was going to pay £5 for a coffee!

When son was in hospital many moons ago and I had to spend a couple of nights there, the coffee was undrinkable in the cafe and there was little choice by way of food, then I discovered that, as I was staying in the hospital I could use the staff cafe - what a difference!

Default Anecdote

When I was on an evening shift, many years ago at our local hospital, I went to the staff canteen. I was quite hungry and had never tried chilli concarne. The chef told me what was in it and gave me a choice. If I didn't like it then I didn't need to pay for it. He refused to take the money there and then. I noticed that most in the canteen were eating it. So I sat down and thoroughly enjoyed it. He just laughed when I went back to pay, took my money and said it was one of his specialties that HE himself makes. Sadly he retired and the food deteriorated. Luckily, on amalgamation with another hospital, I went there for many shifts and they still made everything on site for staff and patients. The meat pie was absolutely brilliant with top notch lean meat and no horrible fat. It was one of those large pies from which you got a portion. Yes I am a believer in real food and not something that is designed for rabbits and guinea pigs.