Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giving way and indicating at roundabouts?

Default Giving way and indicating at roundabouts?

Tobermory's (indeed Mull's) only roundabout. Three roads meet, two of which are 2 way traffic but third is approached over single track width bridge. Once off bridge, give way lines are approx one car's length from bridge and there's room for one car (nothing larger) to wait clear (ish) off roundabout if vehicles coming over bridge. Snag! Roundabout quite wide and often buses stop to let folks off for upper Tob, the campsite a couple of miles up the road and so on. Altho' you can see (if you're on the give way lines) to your right beyond the parked up bus, traffic from the right (to whom one should give way is approaching downhill and not everyone - including locals - indicates their intentions! (In fact, I'm having a wee moan about the lack of indication!)

This pm was heading down to Main St. i.e. over bridge and turn left; bus parked off-loading and motorhome followed by other traffic coming downhill from right as I slowed for the give way (was only doing 10mph as I'd stopped to let a car coming towards me over). Motorhome (without indicating overtakes bus then pulls left to take bridge exit, totally blocking my view of traffic coming from right. Car behind me on bridge so no-on was going anywhere, including the bus who didn't have the turning angle to pull right when road was clear past rear end of the motorhome (I found out he'd got a couple of cars behind him who wanted to turn left). With more vehicles piling up behind me and waiting at the junction just after the bridge, the only way to clear this gridlock was for me to inch forward, keeping hard left over the give way lines to see if anything was coming from the right. Unfortunately, the ferry queue was just arriving and it was a good five minutes before there was a break to go.

Did shopping and went to fill up with fuel and bus driver there and got a teeny bit ratty. Pointed out that I was blind to my right and had to cross give way lines to see if anything was coming - if there'd been a coming together, I'd have been at fault. He stormed off.

I'm not very happy about this incident and not sure what to do about it. Ideas?

Just acquainted myself with Google street view to get a better understanding.

This comes down to drivers not looking or planning ahead. The narrow bridge being so close to the roundabout will be known to locals but tourists intent on finding their way around wont consider it until its too late. If the road over the bridge at the narrow point was marked with a yellow box junction and warning signs of 'do not enter unless the exit is clear' might help? And also for traffic coming from the roundabout to have priority over traffic going to it?

As for motorhome drivers on narrow roads, dont get me started.....

Sorry, Hometune, I'm not very good at explaining layouts!

To my mind, the entire roundabout is badly designed! Coming up the hill, especially in summer when the trees are in leaf, you have to go over the give-way lines to see if anything's coming and similarly if you're coming onto the roundabout from the south, downhill, you have to move over the lines to be absolutely certain there's nothing haring up on your right.

I'm not sure if the box junction would help, particularly when the leaves are on the trees as people coming from my direction wouldn't be able to see until you're on the right turn onto the bridge and could end up blocking the junction just before the bridge. It would help a lot if folks indicated, though!

As for motorhomes, the fun and games has started slightly earlier than normal this year!

We have a really dangerous junction near our village, which is the back way into our village, so is in constant use. It's right on a really tight corner, and there have been drivers killed using it.It's totally blind, unless the bushes are cut down to the same height as the dry stone dyke, you can't see Any on coming traffic,(apart from double decker buses)I don't like using that route, but it is a fantastic short cut, but you have to be careful when using it.

We have a small roundabout in our town with two bus stops on it. The bus drivers sometimes have a break period of five minutes or so at which they may have a smoke outside the bus, but they leave the engine running.

Lorries are often unable to negotiate the roundabout with one or more buses parked at their bus stop. Some lorry drivers go round the roundabout the wrong way.

The forestry and agricultural feed lorries all go the wrong way round our roundabout if coming over the bridge - terrifying for visitors!

While I was driving to Dunfermline to visit my wife today, I was sitting at a roundabout, I was amazed at just how many cars never indicated when leaving it?I, along with the drivers behind me, could have been long gone, if they had used indicators? It makes me wonder just how many hold ups we have in our towns and cities, are caused by drivers waiting at roundabouts?

As far as I am aware it is illegal for buses to stop, to allow passenger to get off or get on, anywhere other than a designated bus stop. The only allowance is in an emergency.

Apologies, either internet or this forum's issues, but response didn't get through!!

Trainman, I have no idea whether it is illegal or not, but it is very common for buses in rural areas in Scotland to pull over and pick up/drop off passengers where there's no bus stop per se. However, there are recognised unofficial spots in remote communities where buses do this. For example, on Ardnamurchan, over three miles from the nearest house, the bus stops to pick up/drop off. These are essentially request stops without the formalities. To a certain extent our trains in the highland do the same, though you do have to notify the guard. I had the train to Fort William and Mallaig stop at Corrour station in the middle of Rannoch Moor once - there are other "request" stops on the line. Even major bus firms will drop folks off close to their destination on their main route - it's just a way of life.

I have only been on Ardnamurchan once and gave up at Salen. I think that makes it perhaps just Moidart and Sunart rather than Ardnamurchan! Lovely drive from there to the Corren ferry though.