Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is 20 plenty?

I think, Trainman, that your observation is the most practical way forward if control of vehicles were to be taken out of the hands of drivers in pursuance of obedience to the speed limits of the roads. As you say, tamperproof measures with severe fines/mandatory scrappage would be needed to deter maverick drivers. All the technology exists for linking GPS and engine management systems - firm commitment and action between vehicle manufacturers and government is the next step for implementation. And, because GPS is global, any vehicle subjected to legislation within its own country of location would also be under control when taken abroad.
    On motorways, or any other roads for that matter, individual roads could have their maximum possible speed adjusted electronically through the GPS system, to accommodate weather, road works, or any situation that demands an immediate change of the limit - short or long term.
    There would, of course, be the objectors; those who would make the "nanny state" accusations, although I don't know what logical grounds they could use to claim that drivers should not be made to obey speed limits.

There will always be macho motorists to object, but I agree wholeheartedly with the suggestion. Technology is there, but until it is considered a vote winner, politicians will continue with their usual insincere, hypocritical waffle and pretence of trying to do something.

I have given up on any thought that any of our Govts have any real interest in Road Safety in any form. All they are after is whatever revenue they can accrue through FPNs and Court fines. I have no idea how many drivers are still out there who have not been banned after accruing points, but I bet it is now a fair percentage of road users. I know some of the local lads look on points on their Licences in the same way that some look on their ASBOs.

Quote Originally Posted by belucky22 View Post
    There will always be macho motorists to object, but I agree wholeheartedly with the suggestion. Technology is there, but until it is considered a vote winner, politicians will continue with their usual insincere, hypocritical waffle and pretence of trying to do something.
    Politicians have several criteria for their decision-making, and none really prioritise the best results in the interests of Joe Public.
    (1) Vote-catching: Any sound idea that is likely to lose votes will be either watered down for something less dangerous politically, or simply do nothing.
    (2) Public purse: The cost of road carnage will always be more acceptable if the alternative of expensive technology and its upkeep are significantly more expensive.
    (3) If governments make a bad decision, they are never likely to reverse matters if to do so would be revenue negative.
    Example: Round-the-clock-drinking hours was a stupid idea - the police, the emergency services, A&E departments and road safety organisations objected unsuccessfully. The objectors have been proven right - but the government still won't budge. Reason? - Treasury coffers.
    (4) Taking into account all the annual revenue from speeding fines, are the government and local councils really prepared to lose that revenue?
    So, if it will cost the government money that they cannot drop back onto the backs of the public, then the public are on their own with the problem.

I got behind a girly this morning with a sign on the back of here car saying "please note this car is fitted with a black box and will only be driven at the speed limit"
    She then proceeded to leave me behind at my 30mph in the 30mph limit doing about 40mph. So much for that gizmo if it was an insurance box. I know they are only supposed to record speeds,braking and acceleration to calculate the insurance. I assume her Ka HAAAA HAAA will give her a hefty bill if the info is acted on. (or if she even had monitoring)

If the sticker said "My other car is a Porsche" would you have believed it?

If not, why did you believe this one?