Thread: Advice on changing my car, please

Talking Advice on changing my car, please

Hi

I currently own a V-reg 1999 Honda Accord 1.8i VTEC 5 door saloon. I've owned it for 8 years & the only thing that has gone wrong is the ignition barrel. Amazingly reliable car considering I have done very little 'proper' servicing on it & it's done 145,000 miles so far.

I don't want to get rid of it, but I think that I need to replace it with something a bit newer, so I have narrowed it down to 3.

Could I have your opinions on any of the following:

1) Honda Civic 1.8 i-vtec ES (the one that looks like a crash helmet/dalek) - 06 & newer
    2) Honda Accord 2.0 i-vtec Executive
    3) Toyota Avensis 1.8 VVT-i T3/4

From what I can afford, I'll be after an 05 or 07 plate.

Any suggestions? I've looked at the mpg & tax & they're all better than my current Accord.

I will be buying from a garage, so there can be "some sort of" comeback.

Also, with the above cars, some of the mileages that I've seen are from 65,000 > 135,000 miles - is the mileage as much of an issue than it used to be, or would I be safe in buying a Civic with 130,000 if it's got a full service history etc. etc.

I can't think of anything else to ask right now, but I'm sure other things will pop into mhead at some point.

Any advice will be gratefully received!

I am looking to part exchange/sell & buy in a few days time.

Cheers
    Ian

Out of the three you mentioned, there is not that much between them really. The mileage thing doesn't really matter as long as the car has a good service history, and all the oil changes have been done.Larger engines seem to wear better, and some of them will run for ever, much that same as the engine on your existing one, good luck.

Thanks, smudger.

I have been advised by a mechanic that the diesel engines are far more expensive if they go wrong & told me to go for the petrol engines not the diesel - would you agree with that?

The tax is a bit lower on all of them if it's a diesel & you get marginally more mpg.

Diesels are not for everyone really. If you drive a good distance at speed i.e. motorway then yes, a diesel may be better. but if you drive locally most of the time to the school, supermarket etc then diesel is not for you. Exhaust gas recirculation valves (EGR), diesel particulate filters (DPFs) and associated components will clog up and die and empty your wallet in the process.

I got the Civic, 1.8 i-vtec, 55 plate, 91,000, perfect condition & it is lovely!

Has it got a full size spare wheel?