Thread: Buying NI Reg Car

Default Buying NI Reg Car

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of bringing a Northern Irish car into England? I know the Gov.uk website says that vehicles can be moved freely between Great Britain and Northern Ireland, but would I have to re-register the car or anything? Also, would the car insurance or tax be higher? We are moving from the Republic of Ireland, and have heard that it is a major hassle to being an Irish car over and register it etc. So we are trying to decide whether to drive up North, buy a car and drive it over, or buy one in the UK.

Thanks a million

Things may have changed, but I used to work for a company with a depot in Belfast. We used to bring vans back to the mainland, re-register them and sell them at auction here because prices in NI were so low.

Re-registering is quite easy, all you need is form V55/5. The problem is that if you buy it in NI, you have to tax, insure and register it here before you can drive it here. If it is between 3 and 4 years old, you will have to MOT it as well. My company had no problem with this as we transported them in the back of a truck, but you will probably need to hire a trailer unless the current owner drives it over to you. There are also many companies who will do it for you at a price.

Cars are much cheaper over there, but you do need to factor in the extra cost of getting it home legally.

Thinking about it, I would think that the cheapest way would be to go to NI, buy the car (or do it online in advance) tax and insure it in your name and then drive it back to the UK. You would have to allow a couple of weeks for this. Then you have six months (I think) to re-register it with mailland plates. Whether you can re-register it while it's still physically in NI, I am not sure.
    Last edited by Santa; 09-08-14 at 15:41.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by alexb85 View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of bringing a Northern Irish car into England? I know the Gov.uk website says that vehicles can be moved freely between Great Britain and Northern Ireland, but would I have to re-register the car or anything? Also, would the car insurance or tax be higher? We are moving from the Republic of Ireland, and have heard that it is a major hassle to being an Irish car over and register it etc. So we are trying to decide whether to drive up North, buy a car and drive it over, or buy one in the UK.

Thanks a million

Have a look at the Official DVLA web site www.gov.uk

I have a feeling that DVLA Swansea has now incorporated responsibility for Northern Ireland vehicle registrations.

Santa, I think what you said in your last paragraph above no longer applies. Just look at the number of Northern Ireland plates used by people with England Scotland or Wales addresses currently on the roads of Great Britain.

It seems that you are right Dennis. NI plates are legal to use without restriction over here and it seems that many people use them as personalised plates.

This is one of several companies that make a living from doing just that: http://www.speedyreg.co.uk/irish-number-plates

The only caveat for the OP bringing a NI plated car over here is that he would be wise to re-register it before he sells it. The NI plate would reduce its value as most buyers would distrust it.

I also found this on the DVLA site:

8. Moving vehicles between Britain and Northern Ireland
    You can move your vehicle freely between Great Britain (GB) and Northern Ireland (NI) if it’s registered in either country.

You will need to notify DVLA of the change of address.
    Last edited by Santa; 11-08-14 at 12:10.

I do not know whether DVLA would allow him/her to RE-register the vehicle when he/she wished to sell the vehicle.

As I read it - getting a mainland plate would not be a problem - £80 fee I believe. It would, of course, be the right plate for its year. (They don't do 'Q' plates any more.)

I thought that the letter "Q" was for used for Kit Cars?

Yes 'Q' was used for kit cars, but also for imported second hand cars. It seems that it can still be used:

DVLA issues ‘Q’ registration numbers to vehicles whose age or identity is in doubt.

If this happens, any original vehicle registration number will become invalid and you mustn’t display it again.

To get a ‘Q’ registration number, your vehicle has to pass a type approval process.
    From https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registrat...ration-numbers