Thread: Help about driving assessment

Default Help about driving assessment

In July 2012 I was involved in a serious car accident. I was driving don't remember anything about it and police put it down as no fault accident. I had a serious head injury so had to inform the DVLA even though I made a quick recovery. For the first year I was told there was increased chance of having seizures which obviously would of effected my ability of driving. Well from January 2013 I have been waiting to hear from the DVLA I have not had any seizures at all and think the higher risk of them is now over. In September 2013 I was told I had to take an eye test for driving reading a car number plate at 20m or whatever it is. I did this and passed. I was told that was it and I could drive.

I have been driving from December 2013 with no problems. I have now been told by DVLA I have to take a driving assessment and if I don't take the first one available I will get my licence took off me. They actually still have it from me sending it for new photo last June but have said I'm still able to drive for now. Now it doesn't seem fair that after over a year of waiting for them to decide if I can drive I've got to take an assessment straight away or lose my licence. I realise the assessment is for my own safety but I don't understand if I have to pass an assessment to see if I'm safe driving why am I allowed to drive before the assessment? It makes as much sence as allowing a learner drive alone before passing the driving test.

Can anyone explain what is involved in driving assessments and what they are looking for apart from the obvious to see if I'm safe driving. Also will I be asked to do another eyesight test even though I passed one in September?

This seems to be the way they do things these days. I got this from one of the companies that does these assessments. I think that if you just drive properly, and listen to what the assessor says, you should have no problems. It's not just your safety - the rest of us have an interest as well.

"Driving Assessment

This is not a driving test. This is an assessment to look at your ability to keep you, your passengers and other road users safe. If you have a full or provisional driving licence, this assessment is for you.

Should you not have a driving licence then please contact us as we may be able to offer an off road assessment.
    This type of assessment is ideal for those people who are able to access a car seat unaided that may or may not require adaptations to their car. You may just have concerns that your medical condition, for example, a stroke, could have affected your driving.

The assessment will be conducted by a driving adviser (a specially trained driving instructor) and an occupational therapist may also be involved.

The assessment starts with a consultation to determine your requirements. A physical assessment will identify any limitations which could affect your ability to operate standard controls of a vehicle, and possible adaptations to enable you to drive more safely or comfortably.

It is necessary by law that you are able to read the number plate at 20 metres. Any other visual impairment may require further investigation.

The drive will include everyday situations that you may encounter on an average journey. The route is designed to check that you are in full control of the vehicle, you are aware of what is going on around you and you are able to make safe decisions.

At the end of the assessment we will advise you what you should do next and wherever possible we will make recommendations to improve either the vehicle control or your technique in order for you to return to safe driving. if you referred yourself a confidential report will follow."
    Last edited by Santa; 01-04-14 at 16:18.

Welcome to the site Marie86, I know exactly what you mean, one of my brother in laws had a bad accident at work, which left him with some brain damage. It was about two years after the accident, when he asked the doctors if he could get his license back, he did have a HGV class 1, before his accident.The doctors told him that he would never get his HGV back, but he could undergo a driving assessment course, to see if he could drive his car again.He spent a couple of days driving around with the assessor, who then said he was ready for his boss, (the driving test assessor) to go out with him.He passed the test no bother, and was well chuffed to get behind the wheel again, and has been driving ever since, in fact, he is one of the safest drivers I have ever known, as I'm not usually a good passenger.

Thanks for replies upto now feeling quite confident. Main worry is eyesight I've always been short sighted so used to it. I wear glasses to drive and even with glasses my eyesight is like only just good enough to drive. As in I can just about manage to read a number plate at required distance with glasses but not much further than the required distance. Never failed eyesight test but always worry I mite. As I said I am able to drive now and no problems so to me that indicates I am safe driving and have got good enough eyesight to with glasses at least.

A week or so before the assessment I'm going to go out driving to get more practice. I know I can pass this assessment but need to make sure I'm not too nervous. Never normally get nervous but did for my first test and that is why I failed. Don't get me wrong I should of failed but I did only mess up through nerves. After that I only got a few minors. Really don't think I will be as nervous for assessment as it will be more an inconvenience to fail as I've got past the stage of driving for something to do.

You may well have already done this, but you should tell your optician that you need glasses for driving. It may be that they can give you a better prescription. The same applies to people who use a computer or read a lot.