Thread: Focus 2012 buying tips

Default Focus 2012 buying tips

Hello all

First post so here goes.

We are thinking of buying a 2012 Focus 1.6 125 Zetec Powershift, high mileage as looks like Ford buy back lease car but Warranty until June 2015. We have previously owned a 2000 year auto Focus and found it to be a very reliable car but have no other Ford experience since 2004.

Would be grateful for any obvious faults to look out for, we are only low mileage users, 3000 local miles per year, so a diesel, which is normally my first choice as a retired HGV mechanic, not an option with the DPF problems associated with low mileage and short journeys.

Many thanks for reading

Nick

Thanks for the link, unfortunately it refers to the model up to 2011 so don't know if the later model with powershift has acquired some extra defects.

Thanks Hometune makes interesting reading, my Wife's now veering towards the Seat Altea with the DSG 6 speed box which costs at least 200 at 40,000 miles for the essential oil change. Seems the dealer selling the Focus still has to bid on the car when it's released by Ford, unfortunately he's now saying that I may have to pay a few hundred pounds extra as other dealers are showing interest, sounds a bit like sharp practice to me.

It does to me too.
    The DSG MUST be serviced at 40k without fail or you will get a huge bill when it packs up. My VW dealer does the oil change for 120 all in and if I try to buy the oil to do it myself, it costs just over 100 so I used to let them do it.

Seems an excellent price for the 6 speed DSG, just waiting for Seat dealer to get back to me, the Focus failed to materialise strangely enough as the price went too high for the dealer.

Last weekend partner's daughter went to the Seat dealer in Huddersfield looking to change her car. Salesman was very busy having sold 9 cars over the weekend so they are popular.