Thread: RAC Refused to insure Stay At Home Mum!!

Default RAC Refused to insure Stay At Home Mum!!

A few days ago my husband called to get a quote on a motorbike WE were purchasing. Between then and today we have changed our minds and are collecting a different bike tomorrow. So, hubby calls the RAC today to change the bike details and to add me to the policy. When asked what my occupation was he said unemployed, to which I told him I'm a housewife. The lady on the phone said that was an unacceptable answer so I told him to tell her I'm a stay at home mum. The lady on the phone said no, that's unacceptable too and we won't add you.

Apparently my 17yr old non-working, non-student daughter can get bike insurance and I can insure our brand new car but I'm being positively DISCRIMMINATED against by the RAC!!!??

I think someone in the RAC needs to come up with a very good explanation because I'm not happy and certainly not impressed with this and have already contacted a family friend solicitor!
    Last edited by StayAtHomeMum; 26-08-14 at 17:46.

Probably some minimum wage telephone answerer who was not properly trained.

I am not entirely sure why you are so keen on the RAC anyway - surely there are better and cheaper out there?

if the answer is not on their script they are lost

I had a similar row years ago when insuring a car, my occupation at that time was welding inspector, and for some unknown reason to me, that pushed the price right up, as they said,...."it was a high risk occupation"' in the same category as doctor?I've since found out that your price will increase if you put down "unemployed" as a mate if mine found out, so he tried again giving "home husband" as his occupation, and.......yes, he for a cheaper quote?So, your not alone, good luck.

As many HGV drivers have discovered, putting that on the application gives a higher premium than 'semi skilled worker' or some such.