Thread: ford focus not starting after gearbox change

Default ford focus not starting after gearbox change

hi, im looking for an answer to a problem i have. i have a 2004 focus auto that i changed the box on. i bought a second hand gearbox. when i bolted the box on i didnt notice any resistance but when i went to start it the starter jammed. i thought maybe the splines were not aliigned and therefore the engine was jammed.after a couple of attemps the starter turned the engine fine but the car wont start. i have no spark at plugs and there doesnt seem to be fuel getting to cylinders. i have checked and rechecked all connections and tried new coil pack. is there a connection between engine "sieze" and not starting or am i just being daft and missing something. thanks for any help.

Does the dash display which gear you are in on the centre panel? Does it show N?
    Does the fuel pump buzz for a few seconds when the ignition is switched on?
    Is the crank sensor ok and not damaged during the gearbox fitting?

Does sound as if the crank sensor isn't getting the correct signal for some reason.

Default check information supplied is not the fault

Quote Originally Posted by solboy View Post
    hi, im looking for an answer to a problem i have. i have a 2004 focus auto that i changed the box on. i bought a second hand gearbox. when i bolted the box on i didnt notice any resistance but when i went to start it the starter jammed. i thought maybe the splines were not aliigned and therefore the engine was jammed.after a couple of attemps the starter turned the engine fine but the car wont start. i have no spark at plugs and there doesnt seem to be fuel getting to cylinders. i have checked and rechecked all connections and tried new coil pack. is there a connection between engine "sieze" and not starting or am i just being daft and missing something. thanks for any help.
    Hi sorry to hear about your problems....did the gearbox you you put in come complete with flywheel and converter or just the gearbox...did you check the gearbox fly wheel sensor position in the casing of each gearbox were in the same....different size engines/models have crank sensors fitted in different positions on the flywheel and gearbox casing....it sounds like the crank sensor in the gearbox you put in is not lining up to the with the flywheel so the ecu can not operate....
    Last edited by dieseldoctor; 29-03-14 at 16:35.

Default check information supplied is not the fault

Quote Originally Posted by solboy View Post
    hi...common problem fitting a gearbox from another vehicle ....crank sensor in gearbox fitted is not lining up with flywheel so no crank signal to ecu.