Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Prices by supermarkets

Default Fuel Prices by supermarkets

As many of you will know we are now in another fuel price cut war at the supermarkets. Tesco are offering up to 20p per month, depending on how much you spend (2p for every 50) Morrisons are offering 6p off for a 40 and above spend and Sainsbury, last week were offering 10p for 60 spend and above ( if I remember correctly) It makes one wonder how much influence the supermarkets have over fuel costs. I got 16p off every litre of diesel today saving over 4 on the fill up. Judicial buying in the store made this saving quite good as they have just sent me a pile of 7 and 5 off vouchers for 50 shops. So today a saving of 11 on our shop. It really means that you have to be on your toes to save the money and beat them at their own game. I intend to get my next tank of diesel for 20p per litre off and redeem the Clubcard vouchers for fuel, hopefully filling up for just a few quid. I doubt that they are loosing much on fuel sales and at the same time increasing turnover in the stores. Prudent buying is the key to getting the best from the fuel promotion so as not to pay over the odds for goods.

The major problem with these price wars at supermarkets is that it just adds to the pressures on filling stations in more rural and remote areas and totally distorts real life motoring costs in the eyes of the powers that be (i.e. gov't). Because of the power of supermarkets and their relationship to major populations, it distorts reality for others and that has a huge knock-on effect.

Aye! I've noticed over the years, that the further I drove North, the cost of fuel gets higher?

It does in the south as well, smudger. Here in the East Midlands it seems to be about the average.

The actual price of fuel varies a lot around the country, and for no discernable reason. I am in the West Midlands and my daughter can buy petrol cheaper in Portsmouth.

I agree about the rural filling stations, but I guess that is the consequence of a free market economy. The alternative is Soviet style price regulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    The actual price of fuel varies a lot around the country, and for no discernable reason. I am in the West Midlands and my daughter can buy petrol cheaper in Portsmouth.

I agree about the rural filling stations, but I guess that is the consequence of a free market economy. The alternative is Soviet style price regulation.
    Not far off now, 365 days to wait!!!

Possibly price variations are affected by delivery distances between refineries and fuel stations and/or local business rates.

Well, that would be the obvious answer, but is doesn't actually seem to work like that. My guess is that it's just local market forces, with an added overlay of deliver costs, as evidenced in the North of Scotland and the Islands. I used to go to East Birmingham quite a lot, and one of the more expensive local garages was within a stones throw of the Kingsbury Oil Terminal.

Many years ago, as a truck driver, I used to get fuel from a filling station on the A1 in Lincolnshire. This was a stop for trucks only and was very basic. Their prices were consistently 10% lower than elsewhere. The reason was that they had a very large storage capacity, and the owner bought his fuel on the open market whenever the price dropped.
    Last edited by Santa; 07-05-14 at 18:08.

It must be, buy more and shift more to get the lowest price. So Tesco buy x,000 litres and Angus MacTavish only buys say 400 ltrs and thus, because of demand, has to pay more. Consequently, his customers have to pay more.
    How much more will Scotland have to pay if the people there vote for independance? I can see all sorts of problems looming. By the way, my family were originally Argyll and Sutherland.

I am still puzzled why diesel is consistently higher in price that unleaded petrol in the Uk, yet the opposite is the case in France. Is the difference generated by the fuel companies, or by government taxation?