Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Minor accident - preempting difficulties - advice appreciated

At this point, it would be nice to hear what the OP thinks.

Ok, Beelzebub, then we just have to stick with finding a way of causing as much public embarrassment as possible.
    Because, the situation where innocent drivers are afraid to contact their insurers, even for legal guidance where they have paid an addition to the premium for this service, due to the risk of a premium increase, is one that has reached disgraceful levels of financial skewing. It may not be fraud in the legal sense, but it is still a corrupt practice that should be stamped out.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    At this point, it would be nice to hear what the OP thinks.
    After a lot of variable advice, I agree that it would be nice to hear how the OP intends to deal with the matter.

Thanks for all your replies!

We told the elderly lady we would contact her again on Tuesday for her decision so I will make my decision then. Because of her attitude it's annoyed me so I'm reluctant to let her get away with it and will most likely push it through my insurers if she continues being awkward. If she had been apologetic and keen to settle from the beginning, I would have likely offered to go 50/50 but with her using defences like "I have to fix my car too!" I have no sympathy anymore.

If it was to go through insurance I'm guessing it would take a while to settle? This is where I'm quite stuck with what to do as I want to sell my car as soon as I can (had too much bad luck with it, vandalism etc that I settled myself as didn't want to affect insurance premiums - hence the cheap rate to repair this damage.. Think I get loyalty discount at the body shop!)

I will let you all know the outcome from our discussion on Tuesday.. Not that I'm holding out much hope of this being easy!

Pleased to see you've kept your sense of humour and had the courtesy to let people know what has happened. Reading your pragmatic posts, I think whatever you decide to do will be right. You seem to have had more than your fair share of trouble with the car !

Quote Originally Posted by Siani1988 View Post
    Thanks for all your replies!

We told the elderly lady we would contact her again on Tuesday for her decision so I will make my decision then. Because of her attitude it's annoyed me so I'm reluctant to let her get away with it and will most likely push it through my insurers if she continues being awkward. If she had been apologetic and keen to settle from the beginning, I would have likely offered to go 50/50 but with her using defences like "I have to fix my car too!" I have no sympathy anymore.

If it was to go through insurance I'm guessing it would take a while to settle? This is where I'm quite stuck with what to do as I want to sell my car as soon as I can (had too much bad luck with it, vandalism etc that I settled myself as didn't want to affect insurance premiums - hence the cheap rate to repair this damage.. Think I get loyalty discount at the body shop!)

I will let you all know the outcome from our discussion on Tuesday.. Not that I'm holding out much hope of this being easy!
    Siani, I do hope your experience with this awkward woman has taught you not to be quite so ready to be philanthropic towards strangers whose trust of fair play you are not sure of. I can understand the willingness to share costs where there is doubt, but this woman is clearly 100% to blame - unless, of course, your parked car leapt out attacked her vehicle (ha,ha!)
    Give no quarter - simply tell her to pay up or you will put the matter in the hands of your insurers to pursue her. If she tries to play the "I'm not well" card, point out that this is all the more reason for her to face her obligations without argument - so avoiding the alternative of aggravation by formal pursuance of reparation is up to her. You owe her nothing, but she owes you! Good luck.

Don't take the "I am not well" twaddle. If she is not available til Tues she is probably living it up on a Shearings self drive holiday for 99 all inc weekend. (and great value they are too). Don't let age or being female take you in. As they get older they become more like black widow spiders. They will gobble you up and spit you out!!!

I can't how the two previous posts justify such an aggressive stance when neither of them, to the best of my knowledge, know anything about the lady ; what her actions have been but nothing more. They may, or may not be right. However, I believe we should look for more compassion rather than possible harshness. There may be many pressures and stresses on her that are affecting her behaviour. I don't know. As I put in a precious post I think Siani will make a just and responsible decision : she has more to go on than us.

Personally I hope that Siani's trusting nature will not be destroyed by what is after all a minor event. To pursue what may well be a fragile old lady with relentless vigour, demanding the full pound of flesh without compromise, seems to me to be both inhumane and morally wrong.

Negotiate and agree a solution - if the result is a total loss - chalk it up to one of life's experiences. Taking the aggressive option, even if it is successful, will provide no lasting satisfaction.

I frequently, when it will cost me little or no delay, allow people out of side streets. My children used to complain that it was always me who reversed to a passing place on country lanes. If someone pounds up behind me with his lights flashing, my instinct is to let them pass at the earliest opportunity, even if I am driving at or above the speed limit. I sincerely believe that what goes round comes round - in the words of the bible - we sow what we reap. In my 70+ years, I have been ripped off a couple of times, been involved in a few collisions, one major, but on the whole I have been pretty fortunate and I think that my philosophy has stood the test of time.
    Last edited by Santa; 30-03-14 at 19:06.

Santa that is one of the best posts I have ever read - if not the best. I fully agree with you and have always tried to live in the same way. It could not have been put better.