Thread: Tinted Windows

Default Tinted Windows

I'm planning on tinting my windows but a bit confused.

DVSA:
    Vehicles first used on 1 April 1985 or later
    The front windscreen must let at least 75% of light through and the front side windows must let at least 70% of light through.

I just want to tint the side and rear windows not windscreen. The tint I'm going to get on ebay says 20%. Not sure if that means it lets 20% light through or blocks 20% light.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEDIUM-BLA...item5ae0014a15

If you look at the pictures on that site, it seems that the lower the percentage, the darker the tint. So their 20% is DVLA's 80%. 20% is only suitable for rear windows.

My advice, for what it's worth - don't do it - it makes you look like a prat, and attracts the attention of any passing cop.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    If you look at the pictures on that site, it seems that the lower the percentage, the darker the tint. So their 20% is DVLA's 80%. 20% is only suitable for rear windows.

My advice, for what it's worth - don't do it - it makes you look like a prat, and attracts the attention of any passing cop.
    Are you just jealous you're not young enough to rock the tinted windows :P

Well - I used to be young once. Dark windows are only for wanna-be celebrities and drug dealers in my opinion. But hey - that's just me...

I see a lot if cars that have tinted rear door windows, and normal ones on the front doors! looks a bit silly to me?Some cars come like that as standard from the factory,....but it still looks daft to me?

Just an update. We have a go at fitted the tints ourselves and managed to get all windows done in 2 hours. It was surprisingly easy compared to what I was told. You don't even need to set it right first time because you slide the tints around the window using a water spray to get them exactly where you want them.

Although the 70% for front passenger windows is lighter than the 5% I put on the others the difference is hardly even noticeable.

Cost us just under 20 quid for the lot. I was quoted 180 by a garage and the misses was quoted 280 by another!

I would honestly recommend having a go at it yourself if anyone is thinking about it. Have fun lol.
    Last edited by matty6660; 05-08-14 at 15:37.

Cool Pointless

What positive benefit are they to safe driving?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    What positive benefit are they to safe driving?
    Aw Dennis sounds like you don't get enough fun out of life

Cool Sun Screen

The only essential Tinting of windows is a Blue strip at the top edge of the windscreen as a Sun Screen. As used on Volvos