Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unfairly failed driving test

Angry Unfairly failed driving test

Hi all,

I hear a lot of people fail tests over silly little things, but I feel like I've been outright conned out of my money.

Had my first driving test this morning. I was parked on the side of the road and went to pull out. As I was just beginning to move, another car appeared on my lane, so I stopped immediately.

Then, after I'd stopped, the examiner told me to stop. She told me to stop a completely stationary car. Then failed me because of it.

Either she wasn't paying attention at all, or she made a point of saying "stop" solely so that she could say "You fail because I said stop" to meet their ridiculous pass/fail quota.

Failed for being told to stop a car that isn't even moving, what the hell am I supposed to do? Has anyone here received a refund for an unfair test result?

You need to read through this and make your appeal to the DSA. (Note the Pearson address is for theory appeals) https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...ints-procedure

It's odd because it says at the beginning that the appeal should be to the magistrates, but later say that you should contact the DSA first. I suggest an email to the address provided and make sure that you give them all the information they ask for.

It would be interesting to get updates as the appeal progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Chello View Post
    Hi all,

I hear a lot of people fail tests over silly little things, but I feel like I've been outright conned out of my money.

Had my first driving test this morning. I was parked on the side of the road and went to pull out. As I was just beginning to move, another car appeared on my lane, so I stopped immediately.

Then, after I'd stopped, the examiner told me to stop. She told me to stop a completely stationary car. Then failed me because of it.

Either she wasn't paying attention at all, or she made a point of saying "stop" solely so that she could say "You fail because I said stop" to meet their ridiculous pass/fail quota.

Failed for being told to stop a car that isn't even moving, what the hell am I supposed to do? Has anyone here received a refund for an unfair test result?
    What fault was marked on the DL25, and what explanation did the examiner give in her debrief?

BTW, there is no "pass/fail quota".
    Last edited by Beelzebub; 07-01-13 at 13:25.

Welcome to the site Chello, I know what you feel like, years ago, (and I mean years ago) I was failed on a driving test because, just as we were approaching the test centre, on completion of the test, I stopped to let a young Mum, who was stuck in the middle of the road, with a child in a push chair which was draped in full shopping bags, and two toddlers at her side.

She was standing in a dangerous position, so I stopped to let her cross to the other side, and the examiner failed me for that.

You should bring your instructor with you next time as he/she can be a witness for you.

I would definitely contest this, looks like the examiner was the one who was lacking attention.
    Last edited by FC930; 09-02-13 at 16:28.

I think there is more to the reason/s for your failure than you have suggested, look at your DL25.

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    Welcome to the site Chello, I know what you feel like, years ago, (and I mean years ago) I was failed on a driving test because, just as we were approaching the test centre, on completion of the test, I stopped to let a young Mum, who was stuck in the middle of the road, with a child in a push chair which was draped in full shopping bags, and two toddlers at her side.She was standing in a dangerous position, so I stopped to let her cross to the other side, and the examiner failed me for that.
    Well, I would certainly fail then, because this is exactly the kind of thing I do - mother stuck in the road with kid(s) requires a dangerous situation to be avoided at all costs. Doesn't matter if the mother is in the 'wrong' - kids lives and sfety are first priority.
    Sounds to me that some driving instructors might be incapable of proper assessment.

Maybe things have changed these days, as this happened to me back in the 70s, so maybe the examiners have a bit more common sense these days.

Hi everyone.
    Just failed, is the 3rd time. The 1st and 2nd seem rather clear, and I didn't even bother in arguing; this time I am 100% sure that the decision of the examiner is absolutely arbitrary and even contrary to the DSA standards of safety, and my instructor agrees. My report sheet is entirely clean and my driving was perfect, for my own surprise. Ignoring the fact that the mister took patiently his time, and everything happened after the regular estimated time (according to his words the test takes 38 to 40 min, he kept me 50, still having to drive at least another 10 towards the test centre), the examiner didn't even give me time to move off in a junction in which I was basically giving way to the oncoming traffic, either way controlled by traffic lights. When I spotted the change of the lights I proceeded to prepare the biting point waiting until the cars were totally stopped, as many drivers just accelerate and ignore the red light, in this moment I apparently "hesitated", when, under my point of view I basically stick to the safest option. Appealing looks rather useless. Any similar experience or advice? many thanks

The examiner has to write something on the sheet to fail you. What did he write? I would have thought, if are ready for the test ,clutch bighting point would not need thinking about.