Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning to Drive an Automatic

Question Learning to Drive an Automatic

Hello,

After giving up on my driving several years ago I've decided to try again, but I'm only interested in driving an automatic.

I'm just wondering if there are any resources available online specifically for automatic learners, so I don't have to keep reading through all the clutch/gear info.

I was also wondering if any of you have any general advice about learning to drive in an automatic. As far as I can tell it's the same as a manual but I should have the break pressed in before starting the car, and I have to use my handbrake then select park when stopped for a long time at a traffic light for example, rather than handbrake neutral. Are there any other automatic rules I'm not aware of?

Just starting again after a long break so any help/tips/resources will be appreciated.

Your driving instructor will show you how it’s done, better to start out without any preconceived ideas.
    Driving lessons for an auto car is a lot of money to pay out to end up only being able to drive an automatic car.

Yea! and it limits your choice of car when it comes to buying on as well. When I was buying our car, I was outbid by 50, but when the person who bought it turned up to pay abd collect it, their insurance company couldnt give them a insurance cover note to drive it back, as it was a "Semi-Auto" car?

Id only do this if you have the money, I've looked into it and it costs more both for lessons and cars (plus your way limited on choice!). Saying that the stats show that the pass rates decline more and more as people get older, so if your over 40 it could be an easy option to a hard task.

you can do it.. its easy to drive an automatic vehicle. just remember the rules and road signs.

Most driving schools will offer an auto-only driving lesson. I drive an automatic car and much prefer it to driving manuals. When I was working I drove automatic trucks.

There are several things to learn that are different to manuals - hill starts and reversing for example - and as far as I know, no automatic will allow you to start the engine unless your foot is on the brake, and you only use 'park' when you are parked.

Why don't you contact a local school and book a 'taster' lesson to see how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Most driving schools will offer an auto-only driving lesson. I drive an automatic car and much prefer it to driving manuals. When I was working I drove automatic trucks.

There are several things to learn that are different to manuals - hill starts and reversing for example - and as far as I know, no automatic will allow you to start the engine unless your foot is on the brake, and you only use 'park' when you are parked.

Why don't you contact a local school and book a 'taster' lesson to see how you get on.

This reply is helpful
    Thank u

If you have experience driving a manual, you should have no problem adjusting to an automatic. The opposite is much more difficult, as I know from personal experience.

Planning to start learning soon in a manual, if for no other reason, it just gives me much more choice when it will come to purchasing a car.

Steve - I would always advise anyone to learn in a manual. This way you have the option for ever. If you take your test in an auto, you can only drive autos thereafter.