Thread: my cambelt snapped by garage during repair

Angry my cambelt snapped by garage during repair

Hi ,
    My problem is this , i give my renault megane 1.5 dci to a local garage for an 80k cam belt service cost of 180 . i get a call the next day to inform me that they made an error in the fitting and the new fitted belt jumped off and bent all the parts inside the engine . they said it would be delayed for about about 3 days and they would cover the cost of there errors . so ok i will have to go with what they say . 2 weeks later after me trying to call them and them not picking up the phone when they saw my number i had to make the trip to find out what it was taking so long . i was then told that the 3rd party company that was rebuilding my damaged engine had to replace the cam as it was part of the warranty rules to cover there job and that i had to pay them an extra 600 or i would not get my car back . i was advised to pay this even if i did not want to just because it was seen as an unpaid bill in the eyes of the law . then i could claim it back via small claims. ( advise from trading standards) anyways i arrive to collect my car , they take cash and they don't want to give me a receipt for the money and state that they never give out breakdown reports on the work done for service records . they said they would make one up but that never happened . anyway on the way home after about 5 mins drive the car lost all power due to the turbo blowing up with a banging sound coming out from the engine . i informed the garage with a letter that i was going to find out the problem via a check over at my local renault dealer . ( who where the garage who found the turbo had blown ) this was due to incorrect re fitting when the engine was put back and they had bent the oil in pipe to the turbo and starved it of oil. after 4 letters asking them to put good the problem or i would have to employ another garage still no return letter and they say that i have not sent then any letters even thou they have signed for them all .latest twist is after the new turbo has been fitted at the main dealer they just called me and said that the bent pipe is also blocked with silicone from within the head after re fitting so would have to re strip the engine and find the problem . the trading standards people have said that the 2010 car could be a right off as the cost so far is over 3500 of repair to put right the errors made by the garage . im not sure where to turn now. any angle on this would be a great help guys

Welcome to the site Dustycat, Geez! It sounds like the trading standards folk, and the garage involved have worked you over, big time!Words fail me, as to what to say, the garage say they never received any of your letters, despite the fact that they were recorded delivery?Then, the garage try to blame the sub contractor, and none of them like giving out receipts? The whole thing sounds like a right rip off, which, I'm sorry to say, has left you stuck in it?Sounds like you need some legal advice, and I hope you get it, good luck.

From start to finish you have been told a pack of lies by everyone involved. One of the worst scenarios ever on here.

180 is too cheap for this job, that was the first warning - bad.
    Having cocked up the garage admitted their liability - good.
    Sent engine off to be repaired - good.
    Next garage want 600 - you've been ripped off, no contract with them - bad.
    Trading Standards advice was rubbish and incorrect - bad.
    Turbo seizes due to oil starvation, caused by dummies rebuilding the engine badly - bad.

You have been conned at every turn except by the Renault dealer. The garage that did the belt is responsible for everything. You had a contract with them and no one else. The second garage had a contract with the first so they have nothing to do with you. They robbed you fraudulently for the 600 cash.

You must, MUST, go straight to a solicitor and have him start proceedings against the garage immediately. Forget Trading Standards and unless you are an expert in contract law, do not use Moneyclaim Online for the county court. When you win, not if, your legal fees will be covered in the judgement.

Bloody hell... Did those guys have scarves around their faces, big hats and revolvers, or eye patches, and parrots on the shoulder.

I wouldn't be surprised if the local paper wasn't interested in a rip off as bad as this.

Angry update

Well the main dealer called me today to say that the hart of the problem to why the engine has blown 2 turbos after garage rebuilt the head was that they had replaced the head gasket up side down hence covering up the hols that allow the head to circulate the oil around the engine and to the turbo . they have said the damage to other parts of the engine due to starvation of oil would be in excess of 2700 on top of the bill we owe them of 1830 . they have send me a complete breakdown of the problem with a note to seek legal advice on the matter because they view the car a total loss because of the damaged made by the garage and that they have never seen anything like it since opening in 1995 where a mechanic did not see the large red wording that say "top" , "back" and "front ", so now a nice 120 recovery charge to bring the car home to be parked in the drive .

Since you may well end up in court, I strongly suggest that you get everything you have in good order. Make notes of telephone conversations (inc date and time and with whom) and print emails. You should also keep a strict account of any and all expenses. I hope that the main dealer will be following their verbal report with a written one - that would be vital.

You are not going to get a speedy resolution to all this but I wish you well.

Default the update

Yes indeed i have all the stage by stage letters i have sent to the garage recorded post ( that they say they never received ) even thou they have signed for them all . all the chances to put right the mess they have made , no answer from any letters . a report from the main agent garage that states that the damage was made due to the incorrect workmanship on the engine head gasket and rebuild after they broke the cam belt on the second day of the service .everything is in writing from our end but nothing back from them in any case .