Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any ideas ?

Question Any ideas ?

Looking to spend a max of 10k cash and am now looking for the body shape of a Zafira, but either a Honda, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Toyota or Nissan. (Over about 20 years, I've driven cars by all those makers and would now never drive anything else). Automatic and anything from a 1.8 to a 2.2. Anyone got any ideas on which cars to start looking at please?

Any help appreciated.

Chris.

Welcome to the site Chris, I notice you have picked most of the Japanese/ Malaysian cars there, all of which have a reliable reputation. They all have a wide choice of models to chose from, a few of which will meet your needs, good luck.

There is an acronym used on forums - DYOR (Do Your Own Research) and I think it applies here. Your question is far to broad to elicit a sensible reply.

Surely by asking an open question there is a better chance of getting information. Also, in my view, posting on a forum is a way to DYOR. Despite some cons my wife and I both like Mercedes A class ( driving position etc ) If can find a good buy also in 10,000 range will do so. However, am open minded. Not hijacking post so Thanks for posting Chris I hope to benefit if there are helpful replies.

Thanks for the helpful *friendly* replies. Yep, by asking here, I'm clearly doing DYOR. What models from those 5 makers would come nearest in body shape to a Zafira? I would say, from Toyota, it would be the Verso - what do you think? and what would come nearest in the other 4 makers?

From my very limited knowledge I agree re the Verso - its one I am thinking about. I don't really have any knowledge of the others to make an informed comment. However, there are many knowledgeable people on the site who I'm sure will be able to. Incidentally, have you tried the Honest John website ? that's very active though some contributors are rather direct !

As some on here will know, I only recommend Toyota. I do diagnostics on most cars and by far the most reliable is Toyota. If you don't mind their styling I would have no hesitation in recommending one.

For what it's worth I have only owned Fords for the last 30 years. I keep them until they are scrap and because they are so common, the parts (often carried forward model to model) are readily available and reasonably cheap, especially compared with the German marques.

How that helps the OP I don't know - my point being that we all have prejudices, right or wrong.

The research the OP should do is to read the motoring magazines reviews of the various models that fit his needs, especially those for second hand versions. He can then evaluate one against another in terms of purchase cost, operating cost, and availability. This is similar to what I did as a fleet manager, and believe me it take a lot of time and effort.

Of course, you can just go down to the pub and ask a random selection of customers what they would buy. It's quite possible that you would end up with the same answer.
    Last edited by Santa; 28-03-14 at 14:59.

Is there any reason why you don't want an actual Zafira?

I recently bought one for 11,000 which is about 9,000 off list price. Our dealer is still advertising them from 10,375.

Ok, there's a new model on the way, but it's still a lot of metal for the money and it comes with a lifetime guarantee.

Does that mean that normal price is 20K, that sounds expensive? I noticed while checking the paper work on that Citroen C4 we bought recently, that the lady who bought it new on Jan. 09 paid 10.850 for it, and I paid less than half of that for it.Just go to show how much they drop in value of a four year period?