Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can I claim abandoned car?

Default can I claim abandoned car?

There's an old motor opposite me and It was left there about seven months ago. All the grit and debris has built up round the wheels, we never see anyone come to it and it's obviously not been driven at all in that time. The tax runs out in a few days. My question is....can I claim it in any way? Really I'm just thinking about making a few quid at the scrap yard because that's all it's any good for really. I know I'll have to inform the council or someone but can abandoned cars be claimed at all? The only stuff to do with this I can find looking online, is when it's on private property. Any help would be welcome.

Scrap yards will only pay out if you have the V5. That said I am surprised the local travelling fraternity haven't gutted it by now.

Best thing is to tell the local council and they will take it away. Bear in mind that it is taxed, and may still be insured, so it may still be legal. To take it anywhere, or to remove any part of it, would be theft.

Abandoned cars are complicated. If there is no tax then its DVLA's responsibility. If there is no insurance then it is a police matter. Otherwise if it has clearly been abandoned and is an eyesore then the Clean Neighbourhood and Environment Act 2005 covers this and gives local authorities power and responsibilty to remove.

Our council has a website for reporting them - I don't know if all do.

Phone up the police and report it stolen, that would be a good way of checking their response times? Just kidding,??lol

Thanks, I kinda know not to take cars that don't belong to me, I learnt that after several misspent years in my teens. I also know the council or whoever will remove it. I just thought I may be able to save them the trouble (once the tax etc has run out) and make a few quid in the process.

I kinda got that Dannyboy. The fact of you posting on here indicated that you want to stay legal. The only thing I can suggest is for you to find out who owns it and make them an offer.

My last car failed its MOT and was sitting on my drive for a few weeks, taxed, insured but unloved. A guy knocked the door one day and offered me 100 for it. I took it to the scrap yard (OK it wasn't MOt'd) and got 180 for it.

That company "we buy any car.com" gave our lads girlfriend a really good deal, when she scrapped her car. In fact she got 100 more than the scrappiest offered, worth a phone call, good luck.

Danboy 1200, what happened then, did you get, or not???

Some years ago a friend 'claimed' an abandoned car. He towed it home, and reported it to the local Police as a 'found' item. No owner showed up within the relevant time periond, so the Police told him he could keep the car. He applied for a V5, got it OK, and after spending a day sorting the car out, promptly sold it.