Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funny goings-on with emails.

Default Funny goings-on with emails.

I received three emails over the last few days - suggestive and what I would call seedy. I can imagine an odd strange email creeping through, although I have never been on any websites that should prompt the receiving of emails of this nature. But these are all from different 'senders'. Fortunately, my email account is set up such that these go straight into my JUNK folder.

02/04/2014
    To: Sergi(********) my email address
    04/04/2014
    To: Claudio(*******) again, my email address.
    05/04/2014
    To: (********) a list of email addresses, one of which is mine.

None of these are familiar to me, and obviously will not be answered, and will be treated to the "Block ALL" procedure.
    But I would like to know how my email address might have been picked upon. I can change my email address, although this will cause considerable inconvenience, and at this moment I don't know if there is anything hidden in my computer that would simply trace itself to any new address that I might choose.
    Any comments, similar experience and action taken to eradicate, or advice would be most appreciated.
    Regards, Snowball.

Hi Snowball, it could be that someone on your " contacts" list has been hit with a virus, that sends junk Emails to everyone on that computers list?I've had that happen to me in the past, also, our Email addresses are sold and bought by "dodgy dealers" who can make big money from doing that?I have 2 Email accounts, one for using on line, in sites like this one, and one I only give to folk who know me, so is never published on line.Both of them are set up so that any Emails from anyone who is not on any of my lists, goes straight into the Junk Mail folder.

Hi, smudger. I also have two email accounts, but one is with my ISP (provided when I opened my account with them, and uses my full name for the address. It is also necessary to go into my ISP account to delete these emails, as well as deleting them from my Outlook account. Also, if my emails to my ISP account fill up, the overflow is discarded - not the earliest emails - which means late emails can be lost if I forget to delete regularly. So, much of my regular emailing is on the Outlook account, as it is for this forum. Looks as though I will have to overhaul my whole email methodology.

Ref these three saucy emails, they talk about things like intimate talks, candlelit dinners and making cosy homes - one even "dreaming to show yu my funny photos to wind you up". Two web addresses end in .kr.ua
    I can imagine the easily-led surfers being duped into replying - there was a TV programme a few weeks ago about similar websites, and one lonely old guy had sent his "contact" quite a lot of money. Based on some form of promises, which then ended in silence when the cash dried up! Women caught out too.

I stopped using Facebook some years ago, and was instantly inundated with similar emails. I reopened my Facebook account after a few months, and the emails went away. I cancelled my Facebook account again after about a year, and was again inundated. I don't believe for one minute that these instances were coincidental.

Snowball - I think that just about everyone with an email account gets these from time to time. They are just spam and not maliciouse, but in an case - like you, no one with any sense will open one.

Just delete them.

Aye! I pulled out of Facebook as well, it was getting a bit silly. I kept the Friendsreunited web site open, in the faint hope that my daughters would get in touch?The Internet can be a good thing, but it can also be abused, as we found out recently, when some "bullying" came to light when our G/Kids told their parents?

Smudger, the only new website I have been on before these weird emails started, was to place an ad on Gu*****. I did open a Facebook account, but cancelled it without making any contacts. Did get an email to say the account was 'suspended', but simply ignored it. You might have something in your #2 post, ref viruses, as I did recently get a prompt from Norton to run a scan, but everything came out OK at the end of it.

As a car club secretary, in addition to personal contacts, I have around 800 email addresses in my contacts file. It only needs one of them to be careless and I can and do get inundated. I did have a farcebook account and ditched it because that was a convenient source for junk emails, but those I now get are mainly PayPal (not got a Paypal account) and Barclays Bank (no Barclays account) plus BT (all BT junk comes with aol email addresses).

One thing has cut these emails down and that is, if you forward anything, delete the original sender's and anyone else's email links in the email sent to you first.

Aye! If you got a message from your security program Snowball, then run a scan and see if that finds it.I'm not on my computer just now, but in with my Bookmarks on it, I have to link to Superantispyware, which is great at finding viruses, and getting rid of them, and it's Free program as well.You will get it through Google, good luck.

Aye! FJ, deleting all the other names before forwarding any Emails, but I can't seem to do that on this I/Pad?I can do it no bother on our computers?