Thread: 3 months temporary insurance

Default 3 months temporary insurance

Bought and registered a car but will not be using it for 3 months. Authorized dealer will keep the car in their central stockyard for that 3 months. So basically looking for a 3+ months car insurance for a car not going to used on road. Any advise would be appreciated. So is there any goods insurance that can cover the car for damage etc? Thanks

Since it's registered, you must have proper motor insurance to comply with the law, and the car must either be taxed or declared SORN.

Any insurer will ask "Where is the car normally kept?", and your answer will not be one they expect! Probably best to consult a broker.

If you've already bought & registered the car, you need to insure it NOW.

However, if a vehicle is SORN does it still need to be insured?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    However, if a vehicle is SORN does it still need to be insured?
    No it doesn't.

The OP should check the insurance position with the dealer who is storing it. There is no point in insuring it twice.

This from moneysupermarket:
    "The only way to avoid car insurance
    If you don't use your car and don't keep it on a public road, you don't actually need to tax or insure it. But to avoid these costs and comply with the law, you'll need to apply for a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN).

This is vital, as it declares your car's status to the authorities. Even if your car is permanently 'off-road', sitting in your garage or on your driveway, you'll need to pay for tax and car insurance or risk a fine and prosecution - unless you've got your SORN."

Well that's good news, as I'm sure I read somewhere, that a car had to be insured, even of it's not being used, off the road, and parked in your drive?I thought that was a bit daft at the time, when I read it?

Well Smudger - It is true if you don't SORN it. That's the point that was being made in the news and that's what is different now.