Thread: 10 plate scenic cam belt failure

Default 10 plate scenic cam belt failure

Hello People,

I have a 10 plate scenic which is financed through GMAC on a HP agreement, with two yours left to run. It has had the required services at 18000 and 37000 miles (not by Renault dealer but by reputable chain mechanics).

The car has done 48,000 miles. We were on holiday in Dorset yesterday when the cam belt failed. The cam belt interval change is 72000 miles / 5 years whichever is sooner. The car has been towed to a renault MD here in Essex. They reckon that it might need a new engine at a cost of 6k (the car is now worth 6k)

Obviously my contract is with GMAC. But it seems to me that if I have had the car properly serviced then Renault should bear the cost of repair. If they will not, I would have thought that my redress would be against the finance company. they are required to supply me with a car of satisfactory quality for the term of the hire agreement (Supply of goods (implied Terms act) 1973. Providing I have maintained it according to the manufacturers specification I would have to argue they were in breach of the implied term. Does anyone have experience of this?

Welcome to the site Brownie, you said........." for the term of the hire agreement " does that mean you lease the car, or buying it?It does seem a bit premature for the belt to go, but then they don't give guarantee with them, so I'm not sure if you would have any redress on the car dealer who sold you the car?

First off - GMAC is just a finance company, so they have no interest, apart from getting their money from you.

Since the cam belt has failed well within the recommended interval, I would have thought that Renault should bear at least some of the cost on the grounds that the part clearly did not meet a standard which a reasonable person would regard as being satisfactory.

It may be worth contacting Renault UK directly on 0844 3350000, or try their FB page.