Thread: Cherished number, transfer or retain

Default Cherished number, transfer or retain

I want to transfer or retain my vehicle registration number when I sell my car when this is complete does the cars reg revert back to its former reg number?
    Thanks

This is an extract from https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehi...tration-number
    It6 looks to me as if DVLA will send you a new number for the car. Of course they may choose to use the old one.

Once your application is approved you’ll receive:

a confirmation letter to advise the replacement registration number
    new tax discs for both vehicles showing the new and replacement registration numbers
    an authorisation letter (V948) which you’ll need to get your number plates made up
    a replacement MOT test certificate for cars and motorcycles over 3 years old, and heavy goods vehicles over 1 year old
    Allow at least 2 weeks after sending your application before contacting DVLA.

Registration certificates

DVLA will send you registration certificates for both vehicles showing the new and replacement registration numbers.

These should arrive within 4 weeks of the confirmation letter. It can take up to 6 weeks if a V62 application was used to support the application.

You must not sell or get rid of your vehicle until you receive a new registration certificate, as the new keeper will be entitled to keep the registration number if they want to.

Thanks

When a vehicle is given a 'personalised plate', the original reg. number is retained on DVLA records as relevant to that vehicle. Our daughter has a personalised plate which she moves to any new car she may purchase. On one occasion, when she had a VW Touran, an identical vehicle was stopped after a high speed chase in Germany, and it was carrying her "ghost" plate. The police and DVLA, after informing her, and the German police of her name and address, lost interest. She had to get very firm with the German police, who demanded that she went to Germany with her car keys. Finally, in reply to a four-page (in German) missive from them, she politely told them it wasn't her problem and to sort it out themselves.

To translate anything use Google translate http://translate.google.com/#en/de/ You can go from any language to another.

I tried to quote but it is still impossible

Quote Originally Posted by Trainman View Post
    To translate anything use Google translate http://translate.google.com/#en/de/ You can go from any language to another.

I tried to quote but it is still impossible
    Wrong thread?

To quote - I find that clicking twice works for me.

Hmm - sorry - I couldn't see the post to which you were replying. Google translate doesn't work too well on a printed form..
    Last edited by Santa; 25-03-14 at 13:43.

I have a sort of personalised plate and didn't have much trouble (mainly weather-related so post didn't get through) transferring to new to me vehicle. However, I was advised by DVLA to keep photocopies of all paperwork (including the V5 bits sent off by dealer from whom I purchased the vehicle) and keep the original reg plates for the vehicle. It seems that, despite all the wonderful computerized stuff and ANPR cameras and the like, the more evidence you have that you've swapped the plates legally, the safer you are.