Thread: IS there any regulations regarding putting a CCTV on a campervan?

Default IS there any regulations regarding putting a CCTV on a campervan?

Hi I was thinking of putting this digital wireless CCTV camera kit. As you can see I dont need to install onto my vechile by making modifications like wiring it into the electrics as each camera comes with its own adapater. Therefore I can just put it up when we are out using our campervan. I was wondering if there are any regulations regarding installing one into a vechile? ie: Im looking at putting one on the back, and one on the front while driving. When when we are parking up, I want one to the side so I can see who is knocking on my door. I was also wondering if the viewing angle shows parts of the someone elses vehicle or where my camping neighbour has put their funiture, is it legal that Im filming them. Also as I have a CCTV system installed does this benefit me in anyway, with regards to insurance? I look forward to hearing any suggestions.
    Last edited by mimi.lovell; 19-03-14 at 21:24.

There's nothing to prevent you from filming or photographing anything in a public space, including your neighbour's house, garden, etc.

However, a campsite is private land, and it may have its own rules about this. Pretty unlikely though, as taking snaps is an important part of the holiday for most of their customers.

I suspect that if your camping neighbour was worried about his privacy, he'd be more likely to punch your lights out than to try to sue!

As for insurance, any video footage of an accident is very useful. I doubt if fitting one will get you a discount on your premium, but it won't hurt to ask.

I remember when we were having all that trouble with that plonker of a neighbour next door from us, we set up a CCTV camera to cover the front of our house.When he complained to the police, they told us that as long as we had a sign up saying that the CCTV was there, we were perfectly legal.Mind you, the police were well chuffed with our footage, when we filmed a local thug vandalising the car of the bloke who lived across from us, who happened to be chairman of the local neighbourhood watch scheme, who is a retired copper.

It can be a grey area. For example the police take exception to being videoed, even though it is not against the law.

There are people who get upset if they see a camera pointing at them, but these days, they are so ubiquitous, that it would be hard to objet to all of them. If your camera was aimed at the honeymooner's window - that might be a problem...

Thanks everyone for your response.

lol.... it wont be pointed at honeymooner's window, it is purely for protection. I think this cctv camera kit is legal for me to put up. As you can see the footage is recorded onto SD card, so it can easily be deleted and transfered to the police/ laptop etc... if needs to me. I was so worried that it would be illegal to record into someone else patch of land, as you can see the camera lenses are fixed and I cant change them. Its good to hear that Beelzebub that there is nothing stopping me filming anything in public space.

Thanks everyone for your reassurance.

Aye! I once saw the reaction of the police being filmed on a TV program, it was during the miners strike back in the 80s, a bystander was filming them taking down one of the protestors, as soon as they saw him filming, they were onto him in a flash, he got even worse treatment then the protestor?

Quote Originally Posted by mimi.lovell View Post
    Its good to hear that Beelzebub that there is nothing stopping me filming anything in public space.
    Notwithstanding my humourous comment. You do need to be sure that it is not recording anything through someone's window. Just because they forget to close the curtains, does not make it a 'public' place.

Provided YOU are in a public place - or on your own property - there is no law preventing you filming through your neighbour's window. If there were, we would all be breaking the law every time we take a photo in the street and inadvertently capture people in shops, cafes, gardens etc. Think of the thousands of people who takes snaps of Buckingham Palace every day.

That's not to say it's a good idea, and the neighbour might be able to get an injunction to stop you on the grounds of nuisance.

There is also no requirement for signs, despite what Smudger's policeman said.

When I was into photography, I checked out the relevant Acts, and basically you can film anything and everyone that can be seen from a public place. There are slightly grey areas about filming and photographing children without parents permission, if you are on private property. (The Child Protection Act is still open to interpretations in some aspects.) I think it best to check with campsite owner as to whether they agree to your filming on their site.

I'm convinced that OP is merely insering links into their posts for the purposes of SEO, so I'm closing this here (and banning OP) as they've put superfluous links back that I've removed.