Thread: Family car required?

Default Family car required?

My wife and I are looking to replace our current car as we are expecting our 2nd child and we need extra rear and boot space.

We were looking at the Nissan Qashqai, iX35, Sportage and Cherokee.
    (We are also open to the estates).

We are expecting to travel a maximum of 10,000 miles per year and want a car thats economical (40mpg combined) as most of the time it will be city driving in London (plenty of stop/start) with some weekly dual carriage way driving.

*The car has to be an automatic and I have chosen the above cars as the looks and toys seem great.

Any of you who have experiences with the above or can advise on any other cars that meet our requirements?

Thanks

Welcome to the site, remember if you buy a 4 wheel drive, the London congestion charge is a lot more expensive?Yesterday, I met a bloke in a cad park, and he had a Mitsubishi, (looks like an off roader) and he was telling me that he gets 50 MPG from it.He has driven to Spain a few times, and has done thousands of miles in it, and never had a problem at all?I'm not sure if it was a 4 wheel drive? Good luck.

My only observation is that you will not find a petrol engined car in that list that will achieve 40 mpg around town. If you decide on a diesel almost certainly it will have a particulate filter (DPF) in the exhaust to meet current emissions regulations.
    Now your problems will start as the DPF has to clean itself (regeneration) when you are driving and to achieve this you need to be driving continually above 40 mph for several miles (typically) for this to happen. In stop start town driving this will not happen and you will end up with a clogged DPF. This can become very expensive - some DPFs cost 1000+ if they cannot be saved by a regeneration.
    So, if you buy a diesel be very wary of ridiculous claims made by a salesman.

Also worth mentioning that diesel fuel is 5p a litre more expensive.

I suggest that the OP looks at hybrid cars. There are some quite reasonably priced ones on the market these days and the Congestion charge may be reduced.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/articles...r-every-budget