Thread: woops what should i do?

Default woops what should i do?

A driver shunted into the back of my car at a junction a few days ago, we exchanged details and he accepted it was his fault so we then parted.

I have notified my insurance who confirm all looks above board and have started the proceedings with a hire car and have booked my car to have the damaged repaired.

The way it looks to me is I'm claiming from my insurers and they look to get the money back from the other party's insurers, however I have just noticed my car ran out of road tax on the 31/08/14 so I must have just forgot to renew it.

Even though the tax value is 0 "nil" for 12 months I still would not have had tax a few days ago when this happened but nobody has spotted this yet, I have just quickly applied online for road tax and got the confirmation email.

Now I am worried that neither insurer will pay for the repair and hire charges and in the end I will get stung badly, do I have anything to worry about? if so should I cancel the hire and repair and do this privately in case I have to foot the bill later on?

Can't believe I was driving all day everyday for 9 days without tax though

Lightbulb

Did DVLA send you more than one reminder letter?

It may be a condition of your policy that the car is taxed, but it's irrelevant because the other party is paying. They can't use it to wriggle out of their responsibility.

BTW ignore Dennis, he's our resident expert at asking irrelevant questions.

You were really lucky that you never got pulled over by the police, as they have them ANPR cameras all over the place, as well as the ones fitted in the police cars.Mind you, if it's a Nil Tax. Car it wouldn't have been followed up, even if it had been pinged, good luck with your repair.

You have nothing to worry about, not having tax is completely irrelevant to any claim you make against either the other Insurers or your own.

Irrespective of whether your own policy stipulates your car must have tax it entirely unenforcable, it's an urban myth that your car insurance is invalid if your car is untaxed. The same applies to not having an MOT

Thumbs down

Did the OP ignore the reminder letters from the DVLA? DVLA usually send a second reminder letter if you still not got the tax disc.

If the car is unroadworthy AND has serious defects AND has no MOT certificate THAT fact may have an effect on how much an insurance company may pay out.