Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A novel way of getting out of a fault claim?

Default A novel way of getting out of a fault claim?

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I was in my sister's car. She was driving, I was the front-seat passenger.

We were stopped at a T-junction the top of a steep hill. A van was in front of us. When the van pulled off to move away, the van ran back into us quite heavily, then sped off. My sister's car's number plate was smashed, one headlight smashed and needs a new bonnet and right side panel. I managed to get the van's number plate but we couldn't catch up with it due to busy traffic, being in shock and having a damaged car.

As soon as my sister got home, she immediately reported the incident to the police and her insurer. It turns out the van driver reported his van as stolen 15 minutes after this incident took place. So he is now saying it wasn't him. The insurer is not interested as the driver (non-existent thief) was uninsured, and the police are not interested and have taken the van driver's word for it that it wasn't him driving. We've asked them if they can go round to his and see if the van is there or at any other known addresses frequented by him. The police said, quote "we don't normally do that kind of thing" and of course can't give us his details due to the Data Protection Act, even though he committed a crime against us.

Anyone else come across this type of fraud? Clever in an awful way, just reporting your vehicle stolen so you're not to blame.

I think it's shocking that the police aren't taking this more seriously. I would consider making a complaint if it were me.

You could fill in a form to request that DVLA give you the name and address of the registered keeper.

Make a claim to the vans insurance company anyway.

Ask the police to tell you the number of the phone from where it was allegedly reported as stolen.

Report the incident to the police as an accident causing injury (shock at least) and give them all the details In Writing and ask the Roads Policing Section to investigate, if they would be so kind.

How does the OP know this is fraud, and that the van hadn't genuinely been stolen?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    You could fill in a form to request that DVLA give you the name and address of the registered keeper.

Make a claim to the vans insurance company anyway.
    A claim against the van Insurer is unlikely to succeed as the driver of the vehicle is not identified.

Thumbs up

It is better to submit a claim and make them have to investigate, rather than just let the matter drop. If the OP looks at the DVLA web site it will tell him the form number which he needs to submit to DVLA to request the Registered keepers name and address.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    It is better to submit a claim and make them have to investigate, rather than just let the matter drop. If the OP looks at the DVLA web site it will tell him the form number which he needs to submit to DVLA to request the Registered keepers name and address.
    It's worth trying but based on current facts eg stolen vehicle with the driver not identified the vans Insurer will just bat the claim away as they would not be liable

The vans Insurers along with Policy Number and contact details can be obtained for a few quid here www.askmid.com

That trick of reporting you car as stolen when an offence has been done, is also used by drunk drivers who have managed to slip past the police, and the police have gone to their door, looking for the driver?I saw a TV program where a driver managed to get home, and report his car as stolen, so when the police came to the house, they couldn't breathalyser him, as he said the had a drink as soon as he a got home?He parked his car on aside street near his home.His car was seen on the CCTV, swerving all over the road, but he managed to get home before the police could catch him at the the wheel, the driver got away with it?

Cool Not "facts" just DisInformation possibly?

Quote Originally Posted by dacouch View Post
    It's worth trying but based on current facts eg stolen vehicle with the driver not identified the vans Insurer will just bat the claim away as they would not be liable

The vans Insurers along with Policy Number and contact details can be obtained for a few quid here www.askmid.com
    Very unlikely that it was stolen. The van may be insured for "Any driver"