Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lgv driver shortage?????

Angry lgv driver shortage?????

I have been driving 20 years lgv for around 15, where is this shortage and why do employers not advertise anymore? its all agency and we all know they are ****, how about a web site where direct employers put jobs up and we simply apply? am i just ranting or have i a point .

Hi Stuartex.
    Think it's better for the employers to use agencies these days. Costs them less and they can dispense with your services whenever they like.
    There is a "Self Employed Courier website" that I used to go onto some years ago but try as I might can't remember the URL. It's a site you may find useful. I'll post it for you when it comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by stuartex View Post
    I have been driving 20 years lgv for around 15, where is this shortage and why do employers not advertise anymore?
    There is no shortage, and you don't see any adverts, because its all done by are eastern european cousins and the recruiting is done abroad.

Thats why you can't drive down the motorway without getting side-swiped by a foreigner any more

I was in a Tesco's Driver's Rest Room a couple of weeks ago in the early hours of the morning. Apart from the driver I was talking to, there were three other drivers having a break whilst their units were being unloaded. Their entire conversation in the time I was there, was conducted in Polish. I don't know if they worked for Tesco, or an agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Arewethereyet? View Post
    There is no shortage, and you don't see any adverts, because its all done by are eastern european cousins and the recruiting is done abroad.

Thats why you can't drive down the motorway without getting side-swiped by a foreigner any more
    That's exactly it. A friend of mine drives for a supermarket chain and they told the original drivers that if they don't like the terms and conditions they can get more eastern europeans to do it for less money. When I took my HGV it was almost impossible to get work unless you had 2 years commercial experience with checkable references.

I know a local agency that recruits in Poland. Not sure where they learn to drive but, some of them seem to have difficulty just making a lorry move in a straight line. The big firms don't care that they do thousands of pounds of damage a week because they save on the wages. Not to mention the ones that drive towards Edinburgh, Scotland instead of Edinburgh way, Harlow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    I was in a Tesco's Driver's Rest Room a couple of weeks ago in the early hours of the morning. Apart from the driver I was talking to, there were three other drivers having a break whilst their units were being unloaded. Their entire conversation in the time I was there, was conducted in Polish. I don't know if they worked for Tesco, or an agency.
    They were almost certainly agency. I know a man that supplies Polish agency drivers to a Tesco depot.

About 10 years ago Superdrug got rid of all their own drivers and now they are all agency drivers. They obviously feel they benefit from working this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    If you go to most of a particular supermarkets distribution centres(who shall remain nameless!!!), all of the anouncements over the tannoy system are in English and Polish

Talking Guess the supermarket chain???

If you go to most of a particular supermarkets distribution centres(who shall remain nameless!!!), all of the anouncements over the tannoy system are in English and Polish
    I'll have a guess.... er .... has Rolebama just named them above ?

I think I know who you mean Probably the same ones that put up polish versions of all signs and memos in their depots.

When I worked for a supermarket RDC during the start of the 'Polish invasion' they were brought in to 'pick and stack' but, they also had a full time Interpreter their for the ones that did not speak any English at all.

Funny how companies bend over backwards for Immigrant workers but, not for their own ?

I'd like to see the government make immigrant lorry drivers take the British LGV test if they work for British firms driving. If we wanted to live and drive in France we would have to take the French LGV test or do a extensive assessment together with proof of our commercial experience.

Quote Originally Posted by lonestranger View Post
    I'll have a guess.... er .... has Rolebama just named them above ?
    I'm thinking of the ones that have royal blue units and bright orange trailers