Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVLA go online, important Vehicle Tax changes

Default DVLA go online, important Vehicle Tax changes

The paper tax disc will soon be considered a relic, as DVLA take their Vehicle Tax service online from 1st November. This means some important changes - how do you feel about the following?:

- From 1st October 2014 there will be no more paper tax discs issued or required to be displayed. This means if you have any months remaining on your paper tax disc you no longer need to display it.

- You can check the tax status of your vehicle whenever you like online but DVLA will still contact you when itís due for renewal.

- When buying a used vehicle you will be able to use the new keeper supplement (V5C/2) with MOT certificate to pay vehicle tax at the Post Office. From 1st October 2014 you will also be able to pay using the V5C/2 online or by phone.

- Vehicle Tax will no longer be transferable, so when you sell your car the new keeper will have to get the vehicle taxed immediately before using it.

Read the full article from DVLA here: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gray View Post
    The paper tax disc will soon be considered a relic ........................

- When buying a used vehicle you will be able to use the new keeper supplement (V5C/2) with MOT certificate to pay vehicle tax at the Post Office. From 1st October 2014 you will also be able to pay using the V5C/2 online or by phone.

- Vehicle Tax will no longer be transferable, so when you sell your car the new keeper will have to get the vehicle taxed immediately before using it.
    Ah, the last line speaks volumes - that should raise a tidy annual sum!

And with all the Post Offices they're closing? What about if you don't have a means of getting online?

I sympathise with those who suffer the inadequacies of the postal service. I go on line to renew my car tax and, fortunately, I am on a fibre optic line, so the speed is pretty good.
    I renewed my tax disc on line over the weekend and it arrived yesterday (Thursday morning), so that's less than four working days.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    I sympathise with those who suffer the inadequacies of the postal service. I go on line to renew my car tax and, fortunately, I am on a fibre optic line, so the speed is pretty good.
    I renewed my tax disc on line over the weekend and it arrived yesterday (Thursday morning), so that's less than four working days.
    And ALL the DVLA Local offices have now been closed. This is NOT progress.

My biggest problem is the idea that tax is not transferable. So I send my tax disc back for a refund, and on all occasions have promptly had demands for £80 FPN for not SORNing the vehicle. So hoe much of the money saved is wasted by sending out FPNs?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    And ALL the DVLA Local offices have now been closed. This is NOT progress.
    It is my understanding that it will still be possible to renew the tax disc on line, so the Swansea office, at least, must still be operating in the future.
    Also, what about driving licence renewal? Local post offices will not have the facilities to reproduce the photo-licence.

Some Post Office branches (but not all) have the special equipment to take the driving Licence photos.

This may be digressing a bit, but:

- if you cannot now sell on a car with X months Tax on it and the seller has to claim a refund (still in full months, I see) and the buyer has to tax the vehicle forthwith, isn't DVLA going to get more money on that exchange in that month, depending on when a vehicle is sold?

- noting various media comments about BT and rural broadband super-fast broadband roll outs, I do wonder when someone is going to start challenging the "you can do it online" attitude, in terms of the dreaded "Human Rights" legislation. With rural post offices disappearing and many parts of the country receiving abysmal broadband speeds, will people be disenfranchised? For example, I do have broadband - supposed to be up to 6.7mbps (500 yards from exchange) but in reality, most of the time it's just over 1mbps and been going downhill. Have a go at BT, it goes up for a week and then you're back where you were. This is not a reliable way of doing things.

- ah!, but you can use your mobile and wi-fi. Really? With over half of the island, for example, with no mobile signal on any network at all and here in one of the highest parts of Tobermory 1-2 bars on Vodafone; 2 on o2 and 4 on EE, the first two are only reliable for texts and my EE phone charges a fortune for online access. ( I have my contract on Vodafone as I have to do this as part of my volunteering and it basically has the best coverage on island; the other 2 are PAYG. ) I can just see me in the middle of Main Street on a wild and wet day struggling with paperwork and emailing someone!!

Along with many other drivers, I have now received my last tax disc, and will have, in the bottom left corner of my windscreen, a permanently-fixed licence disc holder with nothing to do.
    I am just wondering, (a) could not the insurance companies utilise this shortly to be redundant facility, and (b) could they come up with an 'insurance disc' that would be beneficial to us all - well, the legal drivers at any rate?