Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about a car from the past!

Default Questions about a car from the past!

Some considerable time ago, our S-I-L traded in a car to a dealership. He has now been contacted by the current new owner as to whether the mileage is genuine, and if it has been in an accident.
    I advised him that he is under no obligation to supply information about this car. Now that historical log books no longer exist, how easy is it for a vehicle's history to be traced to previous owner(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Some considerable time ago, our S-I-L traded in a car to a dealership. He has now been contacted by the current new owner as to whether the mileage is genuine, and if it has been in an accident.
    I advised him that he is under no obligation to supply information about this car. Now that historical log books no longer exist, how easy is it for a vehicle's history to be traced to previous owner(s)?
    Hi Snowball.

It's sometimes easier than you think.
    Your son sold that car let's say 7 years ago and the person who brought it kept it till now.

The new owner spots your son in laws name and address on the log book and calls him.

The Mots are online now and mileage checks can be done that way.

I thought that the previous owners details were shown on the new style log books, (but I'm sure it just shows the last owners details)

This puzzles me too, smudger. Looking at my own V5 (although I bought the car from new), there is no provision for inclusion of records of any previous owner. The information that is written on the V5 during change of ownership does not get transferred to the new V5 that is issued by the DVLA. As far as I am aware, historical records of ownership are not made available to the general public - only to recognised authorities (e.g., the police).

Since our S-I-L has a personalised plate, which was transferred to his next vehicle, the previous car would have reverted to its original registration that is kept on record by the DVLA. I don't know if this would further impede tracing its history.

I have the V5C for a second-hand car in front of me.

On the front page, section 2 (The Previous Registered Keeper) gives the full name and address of the last keeper.

Ah, didn't spot that one, Beelzebub. Based on time span, I would think that our S-I-L would not be the previous owner shown in Section 2. I suppose it depends on how meticulous a record has been kept by each subsequent owner as to how far back one could delve. Would intermediate holding by a dealer affect the information given in Section 2 on a new V5C?

No. Traders aren't counted as keepers, unless they're the first (pre-registering).

What makes me curious, is why the owner of a fairly old car should be putting in time and effort into tracing the car's history.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    What makes me curious, is why the owner of a fairly old car should be putting in time and effort into tracing the car's history.
    I don't know the actual age of the car, but it isn't more than possibly about four years old, it is a top end BMW and the mileage was extremely low.

Sorry - It was Loony's post "Your son sold that car let's say 7 years ago" that mislead me.

When I worked for the NHS, we used to sell four-year-old Fiestas with around 20,000 miles on them. I sold them because at this point, I could get almost as much at auction as I had paid for them in the first place. The unusually low mileage often caused future owners to phone or write for confirmation.