Thread: Rac - wrong fuel

Hybrid View

Thumbs down Rac - wrong fuel

So i put the wrong fuel in my car today! ended up putting in 30l before i suddenly realised what an idiot i was. so i called the RAC to see what they could do...... 250!! as if it wasn't painful enough!! i mean i understand it isn't covered as i caused the damage etc, but really 250!! Anyway i just wanted you all to know, i ended up going with a company called wrong fuel recovery, their site is www.wrongfuel-recovery.co.uk they charged me nearly half of what these guys wanted. they came really quick and i was on my way in no time 100% recommended. just thought i would let people know theres a cheaper option. i actually got their number from the petrol station i was in, but the man that came to drain my tank said they are nationwide so I'm sure if you just give them a call they will help.

I am not sure if the RAC did, but the AA certainly did not charge when it was a private club. I am appalled at the membership of the day who voted to turn both these organizations into commercial enterprises. I think they were paid a 'dividend' or around 250 - 300 at the time. That is swallowed up very quickly should they ever have the misfortune to misfuel, get a puncture with no spare, or get stuck in the mud.
    Useful link. Thank you I shall add it to my list.

RAC Motoring Services was not owned by its 2 million "members", who simply paid a subscription for its services.

It was in fact a subsidiary of the Royal Automobile Club, which had about 20,000 members. When it was sold, they got 35,000 each. That would have paid for a few punctures!

Beelzebub, thanks for that. I stand corrected and will now go sit in the corner with my laptop for the rest of the session.

Smile

Beelzebub, thanks for that. I re-read my post several times before posting. I knew it wasn't right about RAC, but couldn't 'see' it. I shall take my laptop and sit in the corner for the rest of the session in penitance.

I see Green Flag are saying they will deal and fix at no charge for wrong fuel situations.

Aye! I think they show that on their TV advert, it's still good to know about that "wrong fuel" company, that could save a lot of people forking out large amounts.After all, anyone filling up with the wrong fuel, would feel stupid enough already, without being ripped off?

Default you saved me x

Quote Originally Posted by steven hine View Post
    So i put the wrong fuel in my car today! ended up putting in 30l before i suddenly realised what an idiot i was. so i called the RAC to see what they could do...... 250!! as if it wasn't painful enough!! i mean i understand it isn't covered as i caused the damage etc, but really 250!! Anyway i just wanted you all to know, i ended up going with a company called wrong fuel recovery, their site is www.wrongfuel-recovery.co.uk they charged me nearly half of what these guys wanted. they came really quick and i was on my way in no time 100% recommended. just thought i would let people know theres a cheaper option. i actually got their number from the petrol station i was in, but the man that came to drain my tank said they are nationwide so I'm sure if you just give them a call they will help.
    OMG, Steven i can't thank you enough. i did this last night, i called the RAC straight away. it was only that they told me i had to wait 2 hours for them to arrive that i had seen this post. i was stuck on the forecourt, so i had a look online on my phone and i came across this post, straight away i called this wrong fuel recovery company. 130 compared to 260!! literally half price!! i called the RAC back and told them to cancel, they tried to stop me saying that i had already paid for the service, so i just told them i made a mistake and i did actually put the right fuel in. they immediately cancelled and i had these wrong fuel guys with me in 30 mins!! it only took the young lad 20 mins to drain my tank and i was on my way. thank you so much for this post Steven, you really did save my day (night). so much for these breakdown companies, i was close to pulling my hair out waiting 2 hours, and then to pay 260 pounds to drain it, bloody cheek!!
    Thanks again Steven, your experience has already saved one person from the same thing, so thank you for posting this. xx

[QUOTE=sferguson;125107]My family was held to ransom by the RAC. On Friday the 5th December my wife was travelling to Norwich from Newbury. She miss fueled in Reading and called me. I then called the RAC @ ~ 715pm. You told me that a miss fuel is not covered and it would be 199 for the call out, then you told me my memberships did not cover my wife, but you could have someone out in 45min. I agree and was then passed onto your sales team to take my money. I was then offered two options, to extend my membership to my wife for 125 then the 199 call out on top. Or take a nonmember option for 250. I reluctantly agreed to the 250 option. So you know I will take this up with both Barclays and Nissan. Once you had taken my money you then told me it would 90min before you could get someone out, not the 45min you originally committed too. I said that this was unacceptable. I had two young children and my wife stranded. You out me on hold to talk to your third party, you then told me that my wife had been prioritized and they would be there within the 45min. An hour passes and my wife calls, no one has contacted her and no one has turned up. I call you again and I'm told someone will be there in 10min or less. 15min later my wife calls me, again no contact and no one has turned up. I call you back, I was then told there has been a system error and it's another 90min! I am concerned for my wife and kids and totally frustrated with the lies...system, he had been on the phone several time now to your third party. I ask to speak to a manager, but I'm told I can't but one will call me back in 2 min. I wait for 5min and no call, I call back, again cannot speak to a manager, I am now furious. I hand up and this time a manger does call me back, he is nice and starts to tell me what his team should not have done however I don't care I want someone out to help my wife and children. He does get someone out in the end. However, this person then sells her another 35 for a tank wash, she is stressed and will agree to anything at this stage, so your team took advantage of her. Eventually the car is fixed by 11pm, and gets home by 11:30pm. So our weekend is ruined, yes she miss fueled but had they made your commitments she would have made it to Norwich. I have complained but just being ignore. I probably need to complain about their complaints process!!![/QUOT

complain to the financial ombudsman. Thats what i did. They are fighting my case

thanks I will :-)