Thread: Car Insurance - Not resident in UK

Default Car Insurance - Not resident in UK

Hi all - 1st time posting on these forums. Am wondering if someone who is not resident in the UK, can get Car Insurance? Let me explain some background:

1) I'm originally from Ireland, but I live in Switzerland
    2) But I spend a lot of time in the UK. Its a place I really enjoy and spend a lot of my summer time down around the Lake District camping / hiking etc. I have of friends over there too
    3) So far I've basically been renting cars, but it now looks like it would be cheaper to buy something 2nd hand and leave it in the UK to drive when I'm over there.

How would this work from an insurance perspective? I don't have a permanent UK address as I am resident in Switzerland. BUT I do have friends I stay with now and then. So to get insurance do I need a permanent address (eg residency) OR just a contact / postal address to tie the policy to?

Sorry if this is a dumb question!
    G

I would be inclined to talk to your insurers in Switzerland first, but in princiople, there should be no problems.

You definitely have to tell the insurers an address in the UK, as the postcode is an important part of valuing a policy (risk of theft etc.). Also I remember being asked on the insurance forms how long you have been resident in the UK (usually in the form of "resident since...[birth] or [dd/mm/yyyy]" - that may be a problem. It might also be worth contacting a UK insurer direct to see if they have a standard way of dealing with these issues, you can't be the only person in this situation.

Although - if there is no question about residence and nothing in the Ts & Cs about having to be a UK resident, and you have a friend who is happy to let you put their address down as where you keep the car, I can't see a problem.

The insurance companies' websites and call centres are are not equipped to deal with anything non-standard. Your best bet is to find a local insurance broker (or two) where you can speak to a human, and they should be able to give you advice.

Did you manage to get it sorted at all? If so how did you resolve your problems? I tried doing http://www.public-liabilityinsurance.org.uk/ as well and was told that due to me having no permanent address they cannot insure me!!
    Last edited by NextF1Champ; 22-06-12 at 10:13.

I was told the address where the car is left (when you are out of the country) would be OK.

I can't see this being a major problem, although it may not be possible to complete the forms on the internet.

Default Try Stuart Collins...

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    I can't see this being a major problem, although it may not be possible to complete the forms on the internet.
    I have searched and searched for an insurance broker whom can insure a UK registered car for a non-UK resident. So far the only one I found is Stuart Collins (stuartcollins.com) who managed to supply an AXA policy - but at a cost - roughly twice what you would pay as a UK resident.

If anyone discovers an alternative, I would certainly be interested!