Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RAC Breakdown Battery Overcharging

bma1445
    I note from our records that one of my colleagues wrote to you on 25 January to explain the cost of the battery that you had purchased. Your post above appears to be the first time you have raised concerns regarding the comments made by our Patrol and the actual battery type he supplied and fitted. I will ask that these matters be investigated, we will respond as quickly as we can.
    Thanks
    Angela

I have tried, several times, however I keep getting different excuses. The most common being that the "breakdowns" team who deal with this sort of query are never around to answer the phone. I'm going to try to call again today, but this will be the last time.

So could I ask, for a 1.4 Turbo Alfa Romeo MiTo, which battery I should have been sold?

I am sorry that my colleague has not yest responded to you. I will chase this up for you.
    Angela

Quote Originally Posted by bma1445 View Post
    So could I ask, for a 1.4 Turbo Alfa Romeo MiTo, which battery I should have been sold?
    Looks like it should be SILVER CALCIUM. Have a look here: http://news.advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk/?p=147

Angry RAC is definitely overcharging

I will re post on Pistonheads and every other forum I can think of, why when I have been a member for years does the RAC think its OK to overcharge for a Battery? On line my Varta Battery with 4 year warranty would cost 65.98p Type 100 Varta Car Battery 12V 72Ah (Short Code: E43) 572 409 068 (this site won't let me post the URL so you can search for yourselves. It is a reputable Brand fitted by the manufacturer. Yet when I questioned 120.99 I was told 'ours are better batteries' which is rubbish the RAC do not manufacture Batteries, they are just re-branded Exide or whatever

Now I don't object to anyone making some money but this is taking liberties, I even did all the diagnostics to request a battery and supplied full technical details

The RAC state about member 'benefits' and 'saving money.......really.......Here is one very very annoyed full member who feels ripped off

RAC if you are listening this is how you will loose another member !

I am sorry that you are unhappy with the cost of the battery we supplied. I dont have access to the details of your particular call for assistance, but our usual process is to advise you at scene of the cost of a battery prior to fitting. We dont claim to supply the cheapest batteries. It is ultimately your decision whether to authorise us to proceed or alternatively we may be able to jump start your vehicle in order that you may make your own arrangements through another supplier. Our batteries are supplied with a 5 year comprehensive 24 hours a day 365 days a year warranty, which you will find hard to beat from a shop supplier.
    Angela

Angry

Hello Angela,

24 x 365 is my Membership right otherwise why be a member? so no advantage there thats just standard membership 'benefits'

The offer of a Jump start was not made neither...looking at your website was a Battery for around 90 odd pounds that was not offered just the most expensive. The RAC is quick to point out savings to be made to become a customer e.g. the cost of not being a member should one breakdown.

My first search for a battery with 5 year warranty turned out to be a Varta battery multicell.co.uk (you will have to place www. in front)

So Batteries are available with a 5 year warranty and claiming fitting is free (its included in the charge of the battery it must be) leaves a very negative image, I had to use my car and I suggest that a practise of take it or leave it attitude is not good enough.

I pay for a breakdown SERVICE which I subscribe to as a FULL Member and am left feeling like I have been taken advantage of.

Customer feed back for satisfaction -10 of a scale of 1 to 10 I feely do feel like I have been taken advantage of and it feels like sharp practice.

Telling me I could go elsewhere for my Battery is rather rude, you are supposed to provide me with a service, well you know what I reckon at renewal time I will take my full membership and go elsewhere ( Oh well I am just one customer but guess how many times I will recount his story)
    Last edited by Toaster; 28-04-14 at 12:53.

It seems pretty clear to me that patrols get commission on products they sell. This would explain why they actively try to sell batteries instead of directing customers to the nearest Halfords (or wherever). Incidentally, they charge a tenner for fitting a battery.

If this is not the case, perhaps Angela or someone can state categorically that a patrol gains nothing from such sales.

Your car takes an 027.

Quote Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
    Hello Angela,

The offer of a Jump start was not made neither
    Post number one quite clearly said

I asked if he could just jump me and follow me to a shop half a mile down the road, and he said he could jump me but not follow me