Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which insurer?

Default which insurer?

looking at getting insurance for my first car sorted as due to pick up the car this weekend. i have 2 years no claims & am a 23 year old female.
    used compare the market and swaying towards either GA general or RAC (neither are the cheapest but both are in the top 5 cheapest) not sure why i'm swaying towards them though tbh.
    i know this is an rac site so perhaps opinons might be biased and not sure if i should even be asking here but what insurers would you reccomend? i notice both GA & RAC their policy is underwritten by aviva & GA uses RAC as its breakdown cover - so in essence its pretty much the same?

my mum is with more than but since i'm under a certain age they wont take me although i could opt for more than select (which does take younger drives) i'm yet to call them up for a quote though.

so advice/opinions on who you'd reccomend & who to avoid would be much apppreciated.

Try Liverpool Victoria. Are you in a trade union?

no how come?

Which Insurer underwrites the RAC policy

Welcome to the site Little Queen, you will probably find that which ever company you choose, they will come under the umbrella of a conglomerate, where a few of the top names are all owned by one company?

I was quite surprised when I found that out, especially as they advertise against each other on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by dacouch View Post
    Which Insurer underwrites the RAC policy
    aviva i think.

not impressed i phoned ga general but they only offer phone support for first 35days of policy. i want phone support whenever i need it.
    getting stressed now as need insurance sorted for sunday

I just checked out RAC and they seem to be the branding for BISL, I strongly recommend you google "BISL complaints" and "Budget Insurance Complaints" as they have a certain reputation...

Unfortunately, I am not sure that your question can be answered. I have had friends recommend their insurers to me as they are cheap, yet when I get a quote from them they seem very high. The same happens in reverse. My initial response was to have tried a comparison website, as I used to get some very good deals from there, but other younger drivers have been on other motoring threads saying they got better deals from companies that don't use comparisons.

"i have 2 years no claims & am a 23 year old female."

If this is your first car - how come the 2 years NCB?

As a young driver (gender has no bearing these days) you will be lucky to get it under 2000. My daughter is insured with Shelia's Wheels, but I don't think they are keen on young drivers. You could have a look at one of the 'black box' insurance deals. Have a look here - http://www.money.co.uk/car-insurance...-insurance.htm

It may be worth adding a parent (with a good record) as a second driver, although I think it has less effect than it used to.

ah i mean first car i'll have bought.
    got my moms old car when first passed my test hence the nbc.
    so this car will be my real baby, since i chose her

lol i have no idea there are people that live near me 20 year old guy drivng a 57 plated seat leon cupra with btcc body kit - how is he getting insured on that.
    another guy with a 61 plate seat ibiza again 21 years old
    another guy 57 plate fiesta celebration (lime green sporty checker roof chavmobile) and he's 18 O.o
    guy with a corsa vxr 60 plated he's 20
    and a girl with a citroen ds3 60 plated age 19

how the **** are they all getting insurance? even if they having beend riving since 17 - they cars cost a bomb & are new!!