Thread: Too Close.

Default Too Close.

I watch that TV program about the motorway cops in New Zealand, and they have to power to stop and ticket drivers who are driving too clear to the car in front.

They also come down hard to drivers who rear end any vehicle that has stopped, for what ever reason.

They are different to our road cops, as they have to get the road cleared up, and open ASAP after any accident, to get the traffic flowing again. Has anyone else seen that program?

I saw one episode, but don't forget that the Police have had the same power in this country for many years. They don't, because they aren't around anymore, and to be honest, on a percentage basis, I see the Police tailgating on the M25 as often as everyone else.
    On a bit of an aside. We get a Neighbourhood Watch Newsletter every now and then, and apparently the crime figures for the area have gone down dramatically. Not because there is no crime, but people are just fed up with wasting their time reporting it. So that approach works well.

Quote........"but people are just fed up with wasting their time reporting it."

Aye! that's about it, that along with more use of CCTVs has given the government the excuse to cut back on the policing budget?

To my way of thinking, the only reason CCTV and speed cameras are replacing Police on the streets, is not only that they are cheaper, but they are more interested in catching offenders rather than deterring them. They can then hand out fines. Purely a revenue-raising venture, nothing to do with stopping crime or motoring offences of any sort.

This is a commonly held opinion but the statistics come, not from the police but the Crime Survey for England and Wales.

What is the Crime Survey for England and Wales?

The Crime Survey for England and Wales is a victimisation survey. It measures the amount of crime in England and Wales by asking people, such as yourself, about whether you or your household has experienced any crimes in the past year.

The CSEW provides a better reflection of the extent of crime than police recorded figures as the survey asks about crimes that are not reported to or recorded by the police.

The survey also asks for your opinion of different crime-related issues such as the police and criminal justice system and perceptions of crime and anti-social behaviour.
    The police statistics show the same fall but I think that the CSEW survey is more reliable. There have been many theories put forward for this fall - cars are harder to steal, houses are more secure, and the reduction in violent crime has been attributed to the removal of lead from petrol.

You should remember that perceptions of crime are always worse than the reality. 'Old lady gets mugged' is a far better headline than 'Young man gets mugged'. But it is a fact that the most likely victim of a mugging is a young man in his early 20s. Muggers want cash - who is more likely to have some on a Friday evening?

I would also add that, if you want to claim for a theft, or indeed some injury, you have to report the crime to the police. OK - if you report your phone stolen, they aren't going to do much about it. But it will go on the statistics, and you will be able to claim on your insurance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25858421
    The Crime Survey of England and Wales (CSEW) said there were eight million crimes against households and adults in that period.

It is the lowest estimate since the survey began in 1981.

The figures, published by the Office for National Statistics (ONS), estimate crime levels based on how many people say they have been victim of a crime.

The CSEW said household crime, related to vehicles and property, was down by 10%, while personal crime, including thefts from the person and violent crimes, fell by 9%. It also estimated violence had fallen by 13%, taking it to its lowest level for 33 years.

Police figures also showed a fall in offences. The ONS published data from forces showing there had been 3.7 million offences in the same period, a decrease of 3% compared with the previous year.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post

This is a commonly held opinion but the statistics come, not from the police but the Crime Survey for England and Wales.

The police statistics show the same fall but I think that the CSEW survey is more reliable.

You should remember that perceptions of crime are always worse than the reality.
    Well, I cannot agree with this. Not one member of my immediate family bothers to report anything to the police any more as the response is either disinterest or none.
    If you look at the crime map for my area it is grossly misleading. My neighbour's burglary isn't shown even though my cctv identified the burglar and he went back to prison. No sign either of the antisocial behaviour or drug dealing issues which culminated in a police raid at 3am with helicopter, vans and dogs when a house 3 doors from mine was raided and the cannabis farm removed and destroyed (again as a result of my cctv).
    Since then the police are not much interested in anything. Despite reporting a cocaine taking dealer in the pub over the road, he is still running around making an easy living. Several of them can be seen wiping their noses immediately after a couple of minutes behind the pub.
    So, I have not reported an attempt by 4 youths to break into my car (I chased them off), an attempt to smash a side window a week later or the damage caused to the same car when a girl aged around 13 years threw some stones as I was driving through town resulting in several damaged areas where the paint had been damaged down to the metal. All in the space of 14 days.
    Or the attempts on several occasions by car thieves to get into my van.
    Or the burglary at my partner's house where the burglar took a set of golf clubs from the garage.
    Or her parents' house when on several occasions someone has been trying to force the back door, then the patio window resulting in them buying (at huge cost) all new supposedly thief proof double glazing and they are elderly and vulnerable.

I could go on but what is the point? The police around here are definitely not like those you see on the telly.

They must be the same as our police here, the only time we see them, is when they are lost? Out of all the visits we had when we were having all that trouble with our neighbour, there was only one policeman who genuinely cared.

The rest just went through the motions, and never gave us any confidence in their ability?

I have never heard of any Crime Survey, certainly never taken part. Noone I know have ever mentioned being involved in it, so just how far does it extend?

Remember that massive pile up on one of our motorways, one foggy morning, where over 60 cars were involved? It ended up with a handful of them getting tickets for various traffic offences.

Well, if that "driving too close" law was enforced more often, that pile up would never had happened, or at least less vehicles would have been involved.