Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First car needed for motorway driving

Default First car needed for motorway driving

I don't know a lot about cars and I'm looking to buy my first car. I have been offered a job that requires a 90 mile round trip to and from work five days a week. I'm in my mid twenties and i'm looking for something that has a good MPG thats Not to expensive and wont cost a fortune to insure.

I'm told that a diesel car would be more suitable than a petrol for the mileage i will be doing Is this true?

Welcome to the site Mud19' your age might make a difference if you go for a big engined car, but even then some big engine cars can give you better MPG, especially on motorway driving.

A diesel is good for what you need, and would serve you well, as a lot of folk don't enough mileage to justify a Diesel engine, then wonder why the engine needs more attention, good luck.

There are plenty of diesels around that can be picked up relatively cheaply, and will do what you want as well as being relatively cheap to insure.

I agree. You need to do some research and shop around on the internet and the local dealers (avoiding any that look dodgy). Depending on your budget, an ex company car at three years old, even if the mileage is quite high, will probably offer the best value for money. Remember that the biggest fuel saving device is your right foot. Allow an extra ten minutes for that commute, and it will pay dividends in fuel economy.

Whenever you go to look at a car, take someone with you. If they have some knowledge about cars, even better, but a little moral support, and a cynical eye, will help you avoid the traps.

Smudger, I'm very interested in diesel issues. Does doing a lower mileage, non motorway driving lead to problems in additions to DPF ? In my ignorance I bought a diesel and needed new dpf nearly a year ago. Now I have that are there any other problems that could arise ?

I would most definitely go for a test drive on any diesel you contemplate buying. Some are very well sound-proofed, some, unfortunately, are not. The problem of badly aligned seat, steering wheel and pedals is also one that should be taken into consideration if you are likely to hit congestion. Nothing worse when trying to drive in heavy traffic than the distraction of discomfort.

Quote Originally Posted by mud19 View Post
    I don't know a lot about cars and I'm looking to buy my first car. I have been offered a job that requires a 90 mile round trip to and from work five days a week. I'm in my mid twenties and i'm looking for something that has a good MPG thats Not to expensive and wont cost a fortune to insure.

I'm told that a diesel car would be more suitable than a petrol for the mileage i will be doing Is this true?
    No idea what your budget is but something like this would be perfect for you.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...agen?logcode=p

Ex company cars at three years old, with above average mileage, used to be a safe bet. But these days with so many cuts being made, makes me wonder if they get the full services that they used to get?

Also, it's not the engine that done the high mileage, there is also the wheel bearings and the like to consider as well.

When contracted to service a very well known American car hire company's fleet, I can say that they never gave the cars the service they should have received, just an oil change and get it back out as fast as possible.

Best cars to buy are low mileage, 2- 3 years old being sold by a franchised dealer. They will come with a year's manufacturer warranty without the pitfalls of the aftermarket nonsense that dodgy traders encourage you to buy. While the car may well be a lot dearer than Mr Dodgy Dealer, no hassle, no arguments, no breakdowns, no grief and a courtesy car should yours need a repair. Well worth it, I think.

Most company cars are leased, unlike hire cars which are purchased at a huge discount and then sold on. No company I ever worked for would do less than the recommended servicing. Partly from simple good management, and partly from fear of legal problems if something bad happened as a result. The cost of a service pales into insignificance, compared to the cost of missed appointments and lost sales resulting from a breakdown.

I was under the impression that most hire companies didn't keep their cars long enough to need a service.

I agree with Hometune about buying from a franchised dealer though. They are not that much dearer and they have a reputation that they want to protect. Just don't send it back to them for servicing.
    Last edited by Santa; 29-01-14 at 11:12.