Thread: Is A Selling Garage Allowed To MOT I's Own Vehicles

Hybrid View

Default Is A Selling Garage Allowed To MOT I's Own Vehicles

Hi,

Just out of interest. Is a Car dealer allowed to use it's own MOT station for the cars it is selling?

I'm sure it probably is, as from what I have learned recently, anything goes in the UK when it comes to cars!

Thanks

Yes it is.

I'm sorry this reply is so long, but the forum software won't accept a post as short as "Yes".

We did think that.

Thanks again

Remember that MOT testers are regularly inspected and VOSA take complaints seriously. It would be a foolish garage that handed out 'bent' MOTs these days.

I used to do MOTs for a motorcycle dealership I worked for. I can only say that I was far more strict with 'in-house' MOTs than for normal customers. Purely because I never wanted any allegations of being lenient to the point of dishonesty.

My daughter works for a garage that deals with trucks - repairs, service and MOT. A service manager was nearly sacked because he tried to 'persuade' the tester to pass a truck that he thought was a fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Remember that MOT testers are regularly inspected and VOSA take complaints seriously. It would be a foolish garage that handed out 'bent' MOTs these days.
    There are many, many who still pass cars that should not have been. In fact, I cannot think of one in my immediate area who would not bend the rules for a favoured customer. They are usually car dealers and traders and other garages. It is a constant problem.

I used to have friendly Testers who would issue a Pass Cert because they trusted me to carry out necessary repairs before giving the car back to the customer/owner.