Thread: Private reg

Default Private reg

I bought a car from a dealership recently. Prior to buying the car, I had a private plate which I wanted on the car so the dealer told me to send him a cheque made out to DVLA and complete the transfer plate form and he would send everything off alongside the new keeper details, tax and mot certificate so when the new V5 arrived it would show the new plate.

Bought the car on 28th June this year and yesterday I received the V5 but it's still showing the old plate and not my private plate..anyone know whats happened?! I sent the dealership the original retention certificate and don't have a copy to sort it out myself. When I went to pick up the car, he reassured me over again that he had sent everything off to DVLA, photocopy of tax disc, mot, new keeper details, retention certificate and cheque I had made payable to DVLA for 80 to move the private plate on to the vehicle.

I am kinda confused as to why the V5 has arrived showing the old plate that the car was sold with, rather than my private plate.

Does this mean I have to send it off again, if so..how do I go about getting another retention certificate to evidence that I own the plate ( I had to previously request one so unsure if they will just send me out another one).

I'm kinda pxxxd off with dealership who assured me they would sort it out.

Any advice, suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanking you all in advance xx

Cool

Either, go back to the dealer and ask them to confirm what they sent to DVLA, OR check with your bank whether the cheque has been cleared yet.

What about the tax disc and the Insurance?

You may find that the insurance is not correct either.
    Last edited by Dennis W; 14-07-14 at 18:06.

Has your cheque been presented to your bank yet?

Maybe, with the benefit of hindsight, it would have been better to have taken delivery of the car with its original plates on it. Then subsequently arrange the transfer of the private plate yourself.

It is a great pity that Local DVLA offices have been closed.

Welcome to the site blessed, it's always a good idea or photocopy any such documents before you send than through the post.As for the DVLA making a mistake, well let's say it's not that uncommon?As already mentioned, it would have been a good idea to bet the transferred over to tour name, then organise the plate changeover, as maybe that's what confused the DVLA, or there again, maybe the car dealer never did what you asked?

Thank you all for your replies. I took your advice and contacted the dealership. Useless and unprofessional attitude would be an underestimate but I'm like a dog with a bone and, i fight for my right! Initially he told me what to do ie: send the V5 back with certificate etc..until I pointed out at least 5 times that I had sent him the retention certificate with the 80 cheque. Told him I will be making an official complaint and raising it with RAC as the dealership is advertised through them as a franchised dealer.

Well needless to say, sales man, soon changed his tune and told me to send him the V5 and he will sort it all out at his end and I will be sent the amended V5 with the private plate on it!

Sometimes I think these car sales men, think when they see a female, they can take her for a ride lol!

Anyway fingers crossed it will all get sorted.

Ps: I always as a rule photocopy everything and this time, it just slipped my mind and Sod's law, it came back and bit me on my big booty! Lol

Thank you all again for your responses. Highly appreciated xxxx

Cheers for getting back to let us know the result, as a lot of people don't bother to do that.

I double posted?

I did reply to your post, but it has disappeared?It was just to say thanks for getting back to us to let us know, as a lot of folk don't bother to do that.