Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is A Selling Garage Allowed To MOT I's Own Vehicles

Default Is A Selling Garage Allowed To MOT I's Own Vehicles

Hi,

Just out of interest. Is a Car dealer allowed to use it's own MOT station for the cars it is selling?

I'm sure it probably is, as from what I have learned recently, anything goes in the UK when it comes to cars!

Thanks

Yes it is.

I'm sorry this reply is so long, but the forum software won't accept a post as short as "Yes".

We did think that.

Thanks again

Remember that MOT testers are regularly inspected and VOSA take complaints seriously. It would be a foolish garage that handed out 'bent' MOTs these days.

I used to do MOTs for a motorcycle dealership I worked for. I can only say that I was far more strict with 'in-house' MOTs than for normal customers. Purely because I never wanted any allegations of being lenient to the point of dishonesty.

My daughter works for a garage that deals with trucks - repairs, service and MOT. A service manager was nearly sacked because he tried to 'persuade' the tester to pass a truck that he thought was a fail.

There are still differences between MOT stations throughout the U.K where some cars will pass the test, yet it would fail elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    There are still differences between MOT stations throughout the U.K where some cars will pass the test, yet it would fail elsewhere?
    Because some items rely on opinion, and some testers are tougher than others. There is also the problem where a few garages will fail cars in the expectation of doing the repair. I don't think it's common. but it does happen.

It is also a part of human nature how an MOT Tester will fail a car on Test. As an example, a lot of garages will adjust headlamp aim as a matter of course during a Test, yet one I know of will fail and send people away with a Fail Cert because he hates being dazzled.
    I know of a number of examples where garages specializing in a certain type of work would go out of their way to fail when they wanted the work, but would pass if they were already busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Remember that MOT testers are regularly inspected and VOSA take complaints seriously. It would be a foolish garage that handed out 'bent' MOTs these days.
    There are many, many who still pass cars that should not have been. In fact, I cannot think of one in my immediate area who would not bend the rules for a favoured customer. They are usually car dealers and traders and other garages. It is a constant problem.