Thread: Ford Mondeo TDCI 130 WOULD YOU BUY ONE?

Default Ford Mondeo TDCI 130 WOULD YOU BUY ONE?

Hi,

My Rover 216 Coupe is about to die i think. The gear box is making a hell of a racket in 5th gear. It'll be a shame to see it go but i think it's time has come to go the the scrapyard in the sky. I've been looking at the following car:-

http://www2.autotrader.co.uk/classif...Cnew?logcode=p

or similar. Price looks good as i don't really want to spend loads. My concern is the age and mileage. People tell me that you shouldn't really worry about the mileage on a diesel as 100k is just run in??? What do people think?

Cheers

Neil

Modern diesels are no longer like the old smokey things that used to run for donkeys years. These new ones are covered in sensors and electronics and as you know, electrical things can break. 110,000 miles is not high mileage but the timing chain may/may not be getting tired and that is a fairly expensive item to replace. The injectors are prone to failure being electronic and exchange units on Ebay are around 100 each plus fitting plus programming.
    Mondeo brake pipes at the rear corrode and to be done properly needs the fuel tank dropped down. With a new MOT that does not guarantee anything so a proper examination is needed.
    Check for black smoke on start up and acceleration especially up a hill. If there is, just walk away despite any promises as the electronic actuated turbos are a weak part and you wont get a lot of change from 1,000.
    Ultimately you are spending under 2,000 so there is always going to be a risk with a car that is 11 years old. If buying from a trader do some homework like a search for any reviews and if they are Trading Standard partners so that if something does go wrong you will have more chance of redress.

I was tempted by one when I bought my replacement last month. I asked around my friends in the trade and everybody gave me the same advice. They are still a Ford. They rust. Before buying, I should definitely have it up a ramp and have a thorough look underneath.

I don't understand why you think that Fords rust. My Mondeo is 14 years old and has no rust at all.

Almost every Ford Ka over 9 years old will have rusted sills and around the filler cap area.
    Forgot to say that if the dual mass flywheel and clutch have not been done then they will be due anytime with this mileage.

Quote........"Almost every Ford Ka over 9 years old will have rusted sills and around the filler cap area. "

Funny you should say that, but there is an old style of Ford Ka near us, and its completely rusty around the petrol cap area. I remember thinking that was a weird place for rust to get so bad?

I've had my TDCI Mondy from new (originally as a company car): the disks have been replaced 3 times: the clutch once, due to failed ring gear (@170k miles): rear wheel bearings, bushes and shocks about a year ago: the original battery only 2 months ago - otherwise pretty much just the usual maintenance parts and fluids - now 242k on the clock.
    My mileage is mainly motorway - around 17k pa - and I see an average 55mpg (since 200k miles); this calculated from brim-to-brim fill ups and mileage covered, not the display!
    There is some rust starting to appear but nothing untoward being 11.5 years old.
    Overall a cheap (excluding the grand for a clutch) and reliable car to run....