Thread: Advice regarding possible ongoing petrol use in diesel jeep...

Default Advice regarding possible ongoing petrol use in diesel jeep...

Hi, hoping you can help put my mind at rest.

I have a 1991 Suzuki Vitara which I believed was a petrol tank when I bought it second hand. Just reading through my papers as I'm due to get the car checked soon as I see I have one paper stating it's petrol and the other stating it's DIESEL!!!? I'm not sure which is right.

I bought the jeep in August, it's 23 years old and I have been filling it with petrol every 1-2 weeks. If the vehicle was a diesel is it possible it can still be running after all of this continued use? I've read so many stories online tonight about people not even getting a few miles after filling up with petrol in their diesel cars before breaking down. I've had mine for 6 months and use it moderately (not every da and although it's had a few problems I'm not sure if it's down to the age of the car?

Symptoms are: Sometimes difficult to start and on occasion especially when it's cold it hasn't started. I got the battery jumped by a battery booster at the local garage and it worked however the revs became really high after it was boosted? I just suspected a weak battery? Sometimes on longer journeys I can smell fuel but again I put this down to it being an old jeep.

Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated. Sleepless night worrying about it now... :-(

Thanks

Suzuki didn't make a diesel Vitara back then in 1991. That was introduced in the later Vitara using Peugeot's 2 litre HDi engine.
    Yours may be the old single point injection and around every 40,000 miles or so, the engine system can be 'reset' using Suzuki's technical diagnostic tool (called Tech 2 - same as Vauxhall's but different software. This often cured minor running faults.
    High revs can indicate an air leak on the intake side of the engine, a sticking throttle unit, a sticking idle valve or the basic setting for the throttle needs to be reset. A good clean of the throttle assembly and a check of all the vacuum pipes and breather pipes would be a good place to start.

Thank you ever so much for your reply, you have really helped to put my mind at rest.

Absolute star

has it got spark plus,dont have them on diesel