Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How 'Green' Were Our Valleys?

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    There seems little point of us here in Europe making all this effort to reduce our carbon omissions, when the Americans are making no effort at all?

Not quite. I seem to recall that California was well ahead of the rest of the world, and it was their restrictions that prompted the motor industry to take the whole thing seriously, since it has such a large car market.

I meant that global meeting they had in Iceland a few years ago, to discuss that matter, where America never even sent a deligate?

I remember that when they did the test bores for oil in Siberia, they proved by investigation that there has always been 'pollution'. Although it used to be forest fires, volcanoes etc. When the last Egyptian tomb was opened a sample of air was taken and analyzed which showed similar CO and CO2 levels as today.

I wonder why we always look back and think of the old days as somehow being better? Is is because we only remember the good things and push the bad things to the back of our minds?

Another thing I thought of. Going to bed with no gas central heating but a hot water bottle that soon got cold, 3 blankets, a candlewick bedspread plus a quilt and you kept warm. Waking up to Jack Frost on the inside of the single glazed window. So no power drain there.

Still in my lifetime -

Carrying buckets to the village pump for water. A borehole toilet in an outhouse and a jerry under the bed at night. (woe betide anyone who did more than pee)

Drinking warm school milk at breaktime.

Being caned for 'cheeking' a teacher.

Aye! Santa, your making me feel old now, as I can still remember using ink wells at school?
    I like watching the old films, just to see the difference between then, and now.

Must admit, I like all the modern technology, but don't like how low we have allowed social standards to fall

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    Aye! Santa, your making me feel old now, as I can still remember using ink wells at school?:
    But do you remember breaking the tip off the steel nibs, which left two needle sharp points? They made excellent darts.

No hot water bottles for us, we put bricks in the Aga and wrapped them in pillowcases as bedwarmers. We always had a large saucepan full of near boiling water, bread, either being cooked or 'rising', and some kind of pudding on the go. As the Aga was used for heating as well as cooking, it was on the go almost all the time, just being 'damped down' at night ready for the morning.

Aye! we had an AGA when I was a kid, it was on 24/7 as my folks ran a guest house it also had a coke boiler. If the AGA ever went out, it was like trying to light a Bar BQ at the bottom of a 4" tube?

I used to put my boots in one of the ovens, to heat them up before going out to do my paper round, then school.

On the farm, tin bath in front of the fire in the living room.
    Not so clinical as a shiny white bath with shiny steel taps and instant hot water.