Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proton Savvy 2007 Gearbox

Question Proton Savvy 2007 Gearbox

Hi
    Recently I purchased Proton Savvy from one of the salvage Auction, on the time of purchase car could only drive in reverse gear, all forward gears were stuck so I order used Gearbox on the time of Installation I unscrewed pressure plate just to inspect clutch for any damage or scratches but it was looks all ok i.e there was no damage or scratches, mind you it was my first time ever I am changing Gearbox and installing / uninstalling clutch plate, after refitting clutch as it was described in the manual I refit the gearbox and when it was all bolted I decide to check if all gears are in correct function... I decide to do this check without starting the engine

As soon as I sit on the driving seat I even did not press the clutch pedal I was able to swing gear stick from 1st to 5th gear even in reverse. then I tried to do the same by pressing clutch pedal even now I can swing gear stick in all gears
    at this stage I have not connected starter motor or battery

I would like to know is it a normal behavior because in my other cars gear stick does not move into the gears as smooth as this one till I don't press the clutch pedal also If I start my car in this condition will it have any negative effects on gearbox or engine

Hope to hear from you

Thanks

Hi, Im not a mechanic so didnt take advice from me as gospel, but you didnt say if you fitted a new clutch when you refitted it, or if you used a clutch aligning tool,

Quote Originally Posted by tommytwotanks View Post
    Hi, Im not a mechanic so didnt take advice from me as gospel, but you didnt say if you fitted a new clutch when you refitted it, or if you used a clutch aligning tool,
    thanks for pointing out yes I did use clutch aligning tool but I did not use new clutch because old one look like there is nothing wrong with it
    Last edited by car-auctions; 16-01-14 at 04:46. Reason: providing more info

Moving the gear lever through all the gears with the engine off and the clutch pedal not pressed only tells you that the gear selector is correctly set up.
    Until you start the car, press the clutch pedal then try 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and reverse will you know if the gearbox is okay and if the clutch is working correctly.
    When checking the clutch plate you look for any damage, wear - which is measured from the top of the rivets to the surface - of the friction plates (both sides), wear on the springs of the pressure plate where the release bearing fits, broken springs in the clutch plate, even and level springs on the pressure plate, any sign of oil contamination on any part of the clutch, wear on the input shaft sleeve in the gearbox etc.
    Last edited by Hometune; 16-01-14 at 15:36.

1st Thanks for reply every one it was really helpful and it really built my confidence

Today i have finish all wiring and facing new challenges, hop someone can help me out,
    1st I completely forgot how to rewire the starter motor I.e which one is +ve and -ve terminals on the starter motor.
    My starter Motor has three terminals one of them has metal woven visible thread which is going into the starter motor's metal case second one has chunky bold and third one has rather small terminal which Im sure is a jump (key) terminal

I have connected +ve wire from battery to the terminal which has chunky bold and -ve to the terminal which has visible woven thread wire going into the metal case, and ignition wire to the Jump terminal

after connecting all the pipes and wires to the engine I restart the car but when I turn the key I can only hear Starter Motor's ticking noise, there is no engine turning sound at all. look like drive shaft is not turning at all.

can anyone suggest what might have gone wrong and what should I revisit to get my car started

looking forward to hear your suggestions

Thanks

The small wire is the ignition switch wire. Usually 8 or 10mm nut

The terminal that has the 'woven' wire is the solenoid to starter motor wire and should not be disturbed. Usually 12 or 13mm nut.

The other 'big' terminal is where the large live wire (from battery or alternator) is fitted. Again 12 or 13mm nut.

Ensure that the main earth lead from the battery negative terminal to the engine or gearbox is fitted and in good contact.
    If all is good and you just get a 'click' then the battery is flat and needs charging or jump leads fitting from another car.

Thanks for your response Hometune I am going to recharge my battery and hope it will start the car, just one clarification as you said

"The terminal that has the 'woven' wire is the solenoid to starter motor wire and should not be disturbed. Usually 12 or 13mm nut."
    when you said it should not be disturbed but I have connected main earth lead from the battery (negative) to this terminal with 13mm nut do you want me to take -ve wire off from this terminal or leave it as it is ?

The main earth lead from the battery should be fitted to a bolt that holds the gearbox to the engine or one of the starter motor fitting bolts. Not the starter so take that one off.
    1. small wire to the small terminal.
    2. woven wire on its own
    3. battery positive/alternator big wire to the other 13mm terminal
    4. earth lead separate and not to the back of the starter

Now it will start.

Hi I have tried your explain method and results are as follow:

1. when connect 1 and 3 starter Motor had no pulse there was no ticking noise NOTE at the moment -VE Wires was connected with one of the starter Motor's bolt

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

2. In this method of wiring Starter Motor make ticking noise but engine is not starting or starter motor is making ticking noise but drive shaft is not turning

Just to make sure if there is nothing wrong with either fly feel or drive shaft I turn drive shaft by turning drive shaft pulley clockwise and it's turning beautifully there is nothing wrong with the movement I have order brand new battery just to make sure car is not starting because of the week battery.
    Last edited by car-auctions; 23-01-14 at 12:01.

ok now have new battery and problem still there, Starter motor make ticking noise but do not turn the engine on I have also run test on Starter motor and discover following problem with starter motor it self if someone can guide me what should I do in these circumstances

1. To Check if Solenoid is turning ok when +ve 12v applied on Key terminal in normal condition solenoid shoot out from it's sleeve and make "Tick" noise and then turn the fly wheel which helps car start

in my case Solenoid shoot out from it's sleeve and make "Tick" noise and then turn very slow look like power lose inside starter Motor

is there any thing can be done to repair this starter motor or shell I buy new one or is it problem with starter motor or I am doing something wrong