Thread: Vauxhall Astra 1.9 CDTi BREAKDOWN :(

Exclamation Vauxhall Astra 1.9 CDTi BREAKDOWN :(

Hi all,
    I have a Vauxhall Astra 1.9 CDTi 150 with 90k on the clock. It keeps breaking down due to loss of power. I have run the settings menu operation to check the power to from the Alternator to the battery and have even had a new battery. It only happens infrequently but it loses power completely and does not charge the battery. When it starts normally it is around 14.1V, but when the problem happens it's around 10-12V and the revs increase from 800 to 1100rpm. I've been told it could be the pulley on the alternator, the wiring to the alternator, or the alternator it's self. I've had it tested and they say it's fine, but I've had no definitive answer from anyone. It keeps breaking down in this weather with my children in the back, and I'm worried it could happen away from home.

PLEASE HELP!!!

When you say you have had the alternator tested, what work was carried out?
    If the mileage is 90,000 miles and it is the original alternator, I am surprised it has lasted this long. These normally fail around 60-70,000 miles.
    From your description it does point to an alternator with an internal fault.

Yes I think it is the original. They claim to have had the alternator out, and running to test the charge - it does run fine a lot of the time, but then it just suddenly (sometimes when driving) drop in voltage, normally when under high load.