Thread: Civil Servants Give Me A Laugh

Default Civil Servants Give Me A Laugh

London Fire Brigade has just announced the figures for false alarm callouts to Hospitals in the area they cover. One of our local Hospitals has been shown to be the fifth worse with a claimed 94 false alarms. In response to this the Civil Servant responsible for the Hospital has stated that the figure is wrong and there were 'only' 86. (Well it made me smile.)

Not so good though is that they blame aerosol cans being used too close to detectors. What kind of aerosol sprays are they using in a Hospital that sets off fire alarms?

Naw! I'm not going to answer that one, it just makes my mind boggle?

When I started working for the NHS, I was based in an old hospital. After a couple of years, we moved, lock, stock and barrel, to a brand new building.

In the old hospital, it was the practice for the staff in maternity to make the new mothers toast and boiled eggs in the ward kitchen. I believe that this service was much appreciated by new and expectant mothers.

In the new hospital, with new alarms, the steam from the kettle, and the smoke from the toast, set the alarms off. After a couple of tries to make it possible, the service had to be abandoned.

The new hospital here in Fife has banned anything being put on the walls, this includes get well cards, or even staff notices?

The whole building is bland, and boring, with no atmosphere, even the staff don't like being there, let alone the patients?

Our new hospital had some original art which they commissioned from a local art college. Some was pretty weird, but it was at least bright. They also painted a mural on the walls of the children's ward. It was like walking into a film set for Wind in the Willows and Alice in Wonderland combined.

We too had a total ban on anything being put on walls, doors or glass. There were cork boards for cards etc, and any temporary signs had to conform to a standard and they had proper stands to put them on. It didn't last - go there now and there is stuff all over the place. It takes a strong management to enforce these things.

It is one of the things that I am most proud of - organising the removal of an entire 400 bed hospital, together with the administration, from their old home to the new one 20 miles away.