Thread: Parking Sensors

Default Parking Sensors

There is a thread on here where a guy turned down a car because it did not have Parking Sensors. I though a discussion might be held here. Anyway here is my two pennyworth.
    From early September to early December, I was carless because the damn thing had gone wrong and each fault fixed led to the finding of another one. During this time, I occasionally drove a friend's car, a Rover 45. It had parking sensors. it took me a while to get used to them beeping at me, and to be honest, I found the noise irritating. However, after a time I got quite into the idea of them because I didn't keep having to twist round to guage the gap when reverse parking. Eventually, I decided to give up on my old car and buy a replacement, and I also opted to get a bigger one with a bit more comfort. However, it is also longer, and I cannot see the back end comfortably, so I had a look on EBay and found a set of Parking Sensors of the same make and type as those sold by Halfords for 35. The EBay seller not only sells them a lot cheaper, but I can get them with the sensors in my body colour, so they will be a little more discreet. I know I occasionally have a bit of a rant about unnecessary gizmos in cars, but I am torn between putting up with not being able to see properly, or getting a set of Sensors. I have never had them before, nor felt the need for them, but for ease, I am beginning to consider going to the Dark Side.

I hired a car in Portugal last year, and it was fitted with them. As it was a hire car I was pretty anxious to not damage it, so I did find it useful, especially when reversing to a wall in a gloomy garage.

Our own car is an estate, and it is fairly easy to judge. My opinion, for what its worth, is that they use useful, but not essential.

Can you post a link Rolebabma?

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    My opinion, for what its worth, is that they use useful, but not essential.
    Spot on I think.

Santa: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-REVERS...item2c5021e795

These are the ones I found.

I saw a car in a car park which had the DIY type of parking sensors fitted. The bloke had obviously tried his best to fit them, but you could see the wire coming from inside the boot, and the sensors them selves were bulky, and looked out place?

When I went from the wee Smart Car to the Mazda 323F the difference in size was amazing, especially when reversing?
    I soon got used to it though, and can now judge within a couple of inches, where the back bumper is for parking.