Thread: knocking sound from wheels/breaks

Default knocking sound from wheels/breaks

my ford focus year 2000. 2lt. as just started to get a knocking sound from somewhere. as i start to drive off it gets faster as i go faster. and stops as i start to break.
    it does not do this when in reverse
    Last edited by 2353882; 23-12-13 at 18:36.

I'm no expert, but that sounds like the problem I had on my last car, where it turned out to be the reluctor rings on the brakes, but like I said, I'm no expert, good luck.

I am not a mechanic but I have had this noise before.
    I have had this before.
    It was my brakes they weren't seated properly so the mechanic told me.

Whatever it is, get it checked and repaired. This is a fault which is occurring in safety-critical component(s). Continuing to drive without first finding the cause is negligent. It may be nothing serious but, on the other hand it might be the prelude to a major failure that could be injurious to third parties and/or yourself.

Examine your tyres.

I also am not a mechanic, but in my experience there could be several causes, from a broken CV joint to a stone in the tyre tread. Take it and get it checked out today.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    Examine your tyres.
    Sounds a bit misleading, Dennis. I can think of a strip of tread flapping (wouldn't expect it to 'knock' though), but I have only seen this happen once, a long time ago, on a re-treaded tyre. It is unlikely to be a stone in the tread, as it would have to be very large to catch on any part of the wing area, plus it would also occur in reverse, which the OP says does not happen.
    Since it stops as the OP starts to brake, I suspect a problem anywhere from the brake callipers/pads, through to the steering joints, shock absorbers, McPherson struts/wishbones drive shafts and wheel bearings.

One other possibility is a damaged tooth in the differential drive; the damage being only on the face that makes contact in forward drive. If it was a tooth in the gear train, it would probably only show up in a certain gear.

But this is all supposition.
    Unless the OP is well familiar with vehicle maintenance, the safest course is to get it checked at a reliable garage; and sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by Snowball; 24-12-13 at 12:53.

Sometimes a big pebble in a tyre tread can make a clicking sound. Sometimes it could be a nail or bolt.

I have also found some cars will 'knock' on cornering if the hub nut has not been tightned correctly. Whatever it is though needs diagnosing asap, as Snowball says, until you know what it is, it cannot be accepted as safe to drive.