Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Questions about buying UK car

I think it would depend on the make and model. For example, a luxury car would normally be automatic, while a smaller car would normally be manual. Somewhere in between, it would make little difference.

I have bought several very low mileage Automatic cars over the years. One of which was an Ex Land rover Fleet car, which was nearly brand new but three years old. Good value for money, in my opinion.

On Polo engine's general reliability reputation. Are they reliable? Or which is more reliable, the 1.4 or the 1.2TSI? Thanks

The best way to find out things like that is to have a look on the VW owners website, it might even be worth signing up to it, and ask that question.

I did that before I bought the Mazda I have now, found out everything I wanted to know.

Hi. I suppose VW and Ford both has the largest network of dealer workshop able to handle warranty claim and repairs etc?

May I ask, in UK, does the price listed on manufacturer's website (Ford & VW) inclusive of insurance? In my country, practically all prices listed are inclusive of insurance, hence asking.

If all new UK cars comes with free insurance and used car don't, wouldn't it be better to buy new car instead considering young driver's insurance may cost thousands of pounds!
    Last edited by BSN2013; 07-03-14 at 04:47.

Prices listed are never inclusive of insurance, although there may be special deals from time to time which do include it. There also may be other things like delivery (to the dealer) number plates and Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) to add to that list price. Of course, no one expects to pay the full list price these days, so it may even out.

Sometimes dealers will advertise an 'on the road' price. This should include all these extras, but not usually insurance, although that is sometimes part of the deal.

You cannot buy a car direct from the manufacturer, so you must go to a franchised dealer. You will have to negotiate the best deal you can from them.

Thank you for your prompt reply. You said nobody buy listed price in UK. But from what I seen on Internet, for popular model like Fiesta and Polo, the discount isn't much. Without taking dealer finance offer, I notice the discount is about 500 to 1500 pounds off list price. Would that be a correct figure?

BTW I find the car insurance in UK shockingly expensive. For a young driver, it's almost 20 - 25% of the cost of car itself. That's crazy but I guess if any manufacturer would throw in free insurance, it almost equivalent to a 20 - 25% price discount for these young driver. Am I correct in that assumption?
    Last edited by BSN2013; 07-03-14 at 09:23.

Off hand, I don't know what discounts are available. In any case they will vary day-to-day. It is often said that better discounts are available at the end of the month, when dealers are struggling to reach their targets.

If you think about it - 'popular models' are always going to attract smaller discounts. Why would a dealer cut his margin when he can sell a car more profitably.

There have been many threads on here about the cost of insurance, especially for young drivers. The insurance companies have to make a profit, and they calculate premiums in relation to risk - young drivers are more 'risky' than older ones; fast cars can do more damage, and expensive cars cost more to repair. Factor in the area the car is kept in, and the use to which it is put, and they calculate a premium.

When we bought our car last week, I had a mate of mine with me, as he has been a mechanic for years, I got him to show where all the Vin and other numbers were, while we were looking it over.Then later, when the bloke was in the house counting the money, I nipped out with the V5 and checked the numbers out.We did this as the price of the car seemed too good to be true, but we were told the reason for that, and it checked out OK.