Thread: used car dangerous to drive

Default used car dangerous to drive

Hi, I bought a used car 6 months ago for 625, from a small used car company the only paperwork was the last MOT which had no advisories which had 6 months left to run.
    6 months on ive MOT'd it and it has been deemed dangerous to drive, I only use it for work and have travelled no more than 2000 miles.
    when I got home I checked the online MOT history checker and it failed 28/09/2013 on a shock absorber leak, excessively corroded break pipes and anti roll bar linkages amongst a few other things, then 1/10/2013 it was re-tested at same garage and passed with no advisories. this year it failed on the exact same things (plus extra ware and tare stuff) so it must'nt have been fixed in 2013.
    Had i known about the anti roll bar and leak i wouldnt have bought it.
    I still have the car (i am not using it) but i need a car for work and cannot afford another or finance on one, I bought from a dealer as I have more rights. I have rung the dealer and he said he was going to look into it but nearly a week on no answer as yet.
    What can I do to rectify this and what are my rights if any?

After 6 months your rights are effectively gone. The dealer will not do anything, just wait for you to go away.
    You can report the MOT matter to VOSA but they insist that you contact them as soon as a problem arises. As it is 6 months, they may not take up your case. You do though have the history and if the failures are exactly the same some 6 months on then that should really be investigated by them.

http://www.findlaw.co.uk/law/motoring/mot/9948.html

I found this which seems relevant:

Complaint Against the Issue of a VT20 An owner or presenter of a vehicle has the right to complain against the issue of a test certificate. Any complainant must be given a Notice of Appeal form (VT17) and told to send the completed form to the local VOSA Office or advised to telephone the VOSA Contact Centre.

VOSA will arrange for the vehicle to be re-examined if the alleged defects appear to call into question the test result providing there is a reasonable chance of assessing what the vehicle's condition had been at the time of test. It is not possible to make a blanket ruling on how long after the test such an assessment can be made.

It is, however, unlikely that mechanical defects can be assessed for complaints made more than 28 days after test or that corrosion defects can be assessed for complaints made more than 3 months after test. Any repairs made to the vehicle also make such an assessment less likely to be relevant.
    http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/tgs0g000101.htm

Default From a dealer

Yes 6 months is a long time and the price point of the car is another factor you must consider. Why would a dealer be liable for a car that's done 10s of thousands of miles and is old - after a couple of months?Your rights begin to deminish after just a week, although you do still have many consumer rights upto 3 months later. If you buy your next car via a credit card (plenty of 0% balance transfers available) you get yourself a bit more leverage if something goes wrong. Unfortunatly on this ocassion you must accept you are liable.

USG,

When I bought my present car I intended to pay by credit card. The dealer, who is a pretty reputable business, told me that he would have to add 2% to cover the extra cost. On a 5000 car that is 125 and I decided to pay cash instead. I agree that there is some extra protection, but my question is - do you think it is worth 125?

Aye! I've heard folk satay that buying with a credit card gives you more protection against fraud and other things.Personally, I've never owned a credit card, despite the bank managers nagging?Back in the day when I was working away from home, there were no ATM machines, we used to have gold, (mostly neck chains) so that we could borrow money, from a mate, if something unexpected turned up, then get it back when we could repay the loan.

Default credit card

Well the 2.5% is mostly profit. Merchant services charge us 0.8% when taking c/card payments. The rest is profit...It is negotiable though but most don't know that. In fact I'm gonna write a blog post on this right now!cheers.
    Last edited by Mike Gray; 20-10-14 at 21:10. Reason: Please do not put your link in every post