Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Category B write off

Default Category B write off

Last December I bought a Jag S Type from a dealer on the high street. He has been there for quite a few years so I thought he was trust worthy. I have had put the car into auction and have been told now that the car was a category b write off in 2001.
    Have I got any legal redress against the dealer?

Very little chance of getting anything back i'm afraid

Quote Originally Posted by tonydavis View Post
    Last December I bought a Jag S Type from a dealer on the high street. He has been there for quite a few years so I thought he was trust worthy. I have had put the car into auction and have been told now that the car was a category b write off in 2001.
    If you can prove that the vehicle was a Cat B before you bought it then I would pay them a visit to discuss options... You could then drop a claim into court and see what the Mags think of it

That is where it will be tricky. You need to prove that teh dealer knew teh car was a write off, unless he bought it from the salvage agency and you can prove this, it could be very difficult i'm afraid

Your rights under consumer credit law are clear...

"A secondhand vehicle must match its description, be fit for its purpose and be of satisfactory quality. However, the standard for meeting the requirement that the vehicle is of satisfactory quality will be lower because it is secondhand. A secondhand vehicle should be in reasonable condition and work properly. When deciding whether a secondhand vehicle is in reasonable condition it is important to consider the vehicleís age and make, the past history of the vehicle and how much you paid for it."

Did you pay going rate for it or was it cheap, did you think about an HPI, did you inspect the vehicle?

Clearly, a dealer had responsibility to ensure that the cars being sold is fit for purpose and in this instance its not

Approach the dealer with you evidence and see what happens. I'm not saying its going to be a walk in the park however if you can prove the car was CATB before you purchased it, the court will be onside....

Good luck

Default Cat B

Quote Originally Posted by tonydavis View Post
    I have spent £11000 on a cat B write off.This must have come from a salvage company who should have crushed the shell,destroyed the air bags and sent proof to D.V.L.A ( photos ).If you have tried to have the logbook transferred to your name D.V.L.A. will start of an investigation.This is utter fraud and any dealer will H.P.I. check every car just to satisfy themselves that there is no H.P. outstanding.Take legal advice but do what I intend and that is sue. Where are you situated because it may be the same salvage company ?

Default how do i get a cat b write off back on the road?

Cat b write off

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have a 2000 reg VW golf Tdi 1.9PD diesel 110. it does about 55mpg.

Last July, I was going to work as normal, pulling out at a round about in first gear, when suddenly, bumper cars, some young lad shagged it up the ****. The car was drivable away from the scene,

He and his insurance company admitted full responsibility, besides the back end being damaged, there was a rattle coming from the engine that was not there before, I discussed it with his dad on the phone.

A week later, when the floods were around, I drove through a torrent of flood water because I didnít care about my car to much anymore, I would not have driven through the flood water if the back end had not been smacked in.

Some tosser, at a T junction caused a large bow wave and the water came over my bonnet and the engine stalled, the car started floating a bit because the wheels where loosely touching the road. The water then started coming in through the door seals and came up to about the top of the bum bit of the seats..

The dash board when a bit mad and the trip computer said air bag fault. The engine would no longer crank.

The car got pushed out of the water, and after about half an hour it started to crank, eventually it fired but is was really rough running, I drove it home, contacted the third parties insurance company about the rear end shunt damaged and they collected the car.

I expected the third parties insurance to fix everything including the flood damage but when I went to collected the car only the shunt damage had been fixed. Engine was still rough and belching out white smoke when the engine started from cold.

I then contacted my insurance company they said that I would have to clam on my insurance for the flood damage to the engine and it is a completely separate claim. I would loose four years no clam bonus.

The car seamed to be healing its self especially when I used the shell Vpower diesel, it made a huge difference. But there was a squeaky rattle from the engine, white smoke when the engine was cold and the air bag ecu fault, sometimes the power would cut out if the car was booted when cold.

I did not want to take the three grand the insurance company offered, so I just kept running the car with the engine a bit rough and squeaky. I even got the car through a MOT because I took it for a MOT with a hot engine, it got 1.8 lambda out of 3.

I was going up the motorway 4 months later when suddeny the engine went and the oil warning lamp came on, a piston had come off the con rod and there was a big hole in the side of the block that smoke and oil was gushing out of. The engine seamed to be running with only three cylinders connected.

I then got the car towed home, and I was quoted 750 pound for a new engine 17K miles out of a 06 model year, ASV code from a scrap yard in Liverpool. I bought the engine off him, paid with my credit card, but every day for two weeks, the scrap yard dealer would say Iíll get it tomorrow. Then one day there phone went dead, so I told my credit card company about suspected fraud. The next day the scrap yard drops of a audi a4 engine with no paper work.

I ask for my money back but the scrappy said, only when they pick up the audi a4 engine, and they havenít done it yet two weeks laterÖ.

Note, The credit card compay only offers protection for new goods and not second hand goods.

In the end my insurance company offered to pay me 4500 pounds, and said if I wanted the cars as salvage it is 980 pounds but the car is cat B write off because of the flood damage.

I think the car is still worth fixing but I would need to somehow get a log book for the car and because I had to give the log book to the insurance company, with the MOT certificate.

How do I get a new log book?

If the car has had flood water in the car it is not worth repairing, you will need complete wiring looms for undercarpet, probabley new e.c.u's and p.c.m's new engine, probabley gearbox if water has seaped in. Clutch assembley could be contaminated, brakes will seize due to excess water ingress not to mention wheel bearing, ball joints etc. That's why the insurance write them off, not worth repairing.

Please note if not repaired correctly ie. wiring looms etc the car will be dangerous, The amount of vehicles around the Hull area that got flooded through and people 'sorted' themselves that have had airbags going off while driving, steering joints collapsing etc is scary.

If you have common sense 'scrap it'

You won't be able to replace the log book as the car should be broken up for any salvageable parts, and should not be put back on the road. Category B is not just a 'beyond economical repair' write-off, but one where the car would be classed as dangerous to repair. (A very common reason for this is that the body has been bent or twisted, so the wheels will not line up.) I would suggest selling any undamaged parts on Ebay, or maybe an ad in motoring magazines.

cat b write off can be put back on road but needs a VIC test, personally i wouldn't do it or recomend anyone does, best to just get rid, but check this link for write off catagories
    http://www.autocheck.co.uk/write-off-categories.html