Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Parked car damaged by neighbours car?

I would love to hear from the OP, what he actually did.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    I would love to hear from the OP, what he actually did.
    So would I. How many times does a poster come onto the forum, seek opinions, then is never heard from again? A bit like reading a good book, and finding someone has torn out the last couple of pages!!!

Which is partly why I made my post.

Snowball,

I did not say not to push the matter but to have respectful communication. Surely it is better to resolve matters amicably-without communication nothing will be resolved. Nor was I suggesting to forget about it : I specified that if it failed then consider other options which obviously would involve taking the matter further. It is easy under the anonymity of a forum to make suggestions which may not be what the poster would do if personally affected. I also would not expect a significant contribution from the police in a neighbour dispute.

If the OP has not done anything by now I would think it is too late and the matter be put to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainman View Post
    If the OP has not done anything by now I would think it is too late and the matter be put to bed.
    Probably quite true.
    belucky22, I think respectful communication and amicable resolvement went by the board when the neighbour chose to ignore the damage he/she had caused. When someone does that, the only real answer is to put the whole thing on a formal footing. If the neighbour realises that the OP has let it slide, don't think for one moment that this will be seen as a neighbourly act - it could induce disrespect from that neighbour at anytime that suited them in the future.

Had I been in that situation, and absolutely sure of my facts, I would have taken the necessary photos immediately, then would have notified my insurers of the situation. The insurers would most likely advise reporting it to the police, because an offence had been committed.
    Then, if the police did not act, which would have been neglect on their part, I would inform the neighbour of my actions and that they were taken on instruction from my insurer. At this point, any reprisals by the neighbour would be most unwise, and I think he would realise this.
    As they say, "there's more than one way to skin a cat!"

I agree with what you say and that if respectful communication has failed then follow other options. I would never advocate nor accept intimidation. By the nature of forums we make comments on partial information. I didn't like the comment about the quality of the neighbour's car - lack of spending money doesn't equate with lack of integrity - which was, in my opinion, irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by belucky22 View Post
    I agree with what you say and that if respectful communication has failed then follow other options. I would never advocate nor accept intimidation. By the nature of forums we make comments on partial information. I didn't like the comment about the quality of the neighbour's car - lack of spending money doesn't equate with lack of integrity - which was, in my opinion, irrelevant.
    I agree. When responding to posts, one has to assess what they believe the OP is actually saying, and mentally filter out all but the core details of the post. Also, as with all forums, there are responders to a topic where one will wish to reply, and other responses which are not considered worthy of a reply.